1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miss Belgium

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by yenrod, 18 Dec 2007.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

2. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

I've got a bad cold at the mo and can do flemish fluently!

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I thought it was a warning to avoid the place! :rolleyes:

4. NickM

NickM Veteran

Irish? I'm very much afraid that you appear to be confused.

Generally speaking, the Walloons choose not to learn Dutch; many of the "Flemings" can speak French but choose not to; and people in Brussels are happily bilingual.

5. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

There is no real move to split, I have mentioned it to a Belgian before, she looked incredulous at me and then had a rant about the British media, which is supposedly inventing a lot of division where previously there was none.

6. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Really? My Belgian friends think it's highly possible, but that probably nothing will happen - and in fact having no official government doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference.

7. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

i dont care what language she speaks as long as she keeps her mouth shut in bed. wel, maybe not that shut...

8. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

A German friend once explained to me that the Belgians are the Italians of N Europe but without the charm, friendliness and dress sense.

Also members of the German minority in Belgium (just across the border from Aachen) claim that they are in fact the real Belgians and the Walloons and Flems are French and Dutch interlopers.

9. splitters

10. NickM

NickM Veteran

Ah yes, the tiny German-speaking area... perhaps that's where the Irish influence is :rolleyes: