We’ll miss them when they’re gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
With Cineworld seeking bankruptcy protection and reports of the £10 pint in London pubs I fear we will lose many of these important cultural things.
We all know it’s much cheaper to watch a film at home drinking cans of beer but it isn’t as fun.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
A £10 pint! What looney would pay that for a pint!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's so much cheaper to watch a film and sup a beer at home but the experience of the big screen and booming sound systems can't be beaten for lots of films!
Love 'em or hate' em, Bond films are nothing on a tele screen but at the cinema!!

Adam4868

Guru
Pretty sad though if we're all sat at home boozing watching Netflix....I mean I couldn't afford to go out every night but I still go for a pint or two at least one night a week.Same for chippys round here,the price is going to kill some.☹️

Adam4868

Guru
Three pounds fourty and endless banter....bargain !

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_205856107.jpg
    IMG_20220819_205856107.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's so much cheaper to watch a film and sup a beer at home but the experience of the big screen and booming sound systems can't be beaten for lots of films!
Love 'em or hate' em, Bond films are nothing on a tele screen but at the cinema!!

I find the Big Screen Experience pretty dismal. Cinema's smell of stale hot-dogs, popcorn and chemically-laden stick down carpet adhesive. The sound quality is shite. Your fellow patrons spend their time looking at their phones, or yacking.

I won't miss them one iota.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bah, humbug!

Adam4868

Guru
How did you get that photo, I thought you were booted out if you got your phone out. 😂
Lol...everyone was pissed in there tonight. Supposed to be no bad language aswell,that lasted all of 10 mins.
I'm a coward,if you notice my phone was sort of under the table,popped up whilst landlady turned her back
😁

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Pretty sad though if we're all sat at home boozing watching Netflix....I mean I couldn't afford to go out every night but I still go for a pint or two at least one night a week.Same for chippys round here,the price is going to kill some.☹️

Actually it is nowhere near as sad as you think it is. I have been in Denmark 18 years and apart from anniversaries and works functions I have been in a pub about 3 times. Many of my friends have a bar set up in their gardens or houses. We have regular get togethers and we buy the beer in Germany where it is cheap. In 18 years I have not seen one argument at our gatherngs. Its always a laugh. This is my brothers bar. Explaining what a Tw@t is to Danes if funny. 😁

20210613_170049.jpg

20210707_202919.jpg

My friends and I accidentally paid more than the equivalent of that out on a cycle ride at a pub . It worked out that a half of cider shandy was £5.75.

My friend also said about a couple who had fish and chips for 2 and a bottle of house wine which cost £80 at another pub . :ohmy:

In the long run, Pubs will become gastro pubs and the word pub will disappear. The male alone time will be no longer be accepted. Ever seen 4 adult men sitting at a table at a gastropub?

Pub owners are there to make a living and not to preserve culture. Though when interviewed by the village paper, they go into a BS spiel about culture, keeping the community intact and holding on to precious old days. Same bloke will flip his pub into a gastro pub when the in-laws inheritance kicks in and he can do the place up. The price of beer will up so the not so well dressed old patrons don't turn up.

We are looking at cheese platter, smorgasbord and instead of dart's night it will wine and oyster specials. The long bar would have disappeared long ago and the publican has become a restaurateur or an entrepreneur.

Yes, we will be drinking beer at home and watching netflix. The only time 4 men will have a chinwag with beers flowing will be during test cricket at Edgebaston or Headingly.

Top Bottom