Missing Icons and Smilies Niggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dunno whether it's just down to my elderly laptop - am running the most recent version of Chrome however - but about half of the menu icons for various have been replaced by a blank square. :sad: Hence the need to play "guess the icon" when writing posts, navigating the forum etc.

Smilies coming up in a separate box and having to re-click the (random square) icon each time I want to use smilies is a real niggle. As is the fact that the smilies box covers the text window. The old way where you got them in a bar at the bottom of the text window was, I think, much more intuitive. Appreciate there are now far more smilies (a good thing), but the functionality is awkward.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
:angry:^_^:blush::becool::becool::ohmy::rolleyes::tongue::smile::okay::wacko::hello::angel::stop::whistle:;):notworthy::wub::smooch::shy::girl::birthday::bicycle::blink::boxing::bravo:

Ok on ancient iPad and Safari.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Reynard you can change the display font in your preference, I've just changed to Cycle Chat (below the default one), it's a bit narrower.
I'm going to change back though, as I like the not having to wear reading glasses for CC ^_^
Have you tried browsing the forum on your phone?
A vast improvement imo, I used to hate the phone layout, like it now.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Reynard maybe this can help?

Shaun

Founder
@Reynard the missing icons may be a caching issue. Some of the old files may still be stored in your browser. Try clearing the cache to see if that makes them re-appear.

As to the size of things, I'll have a go at creating a more compact layout with smaller fonts for those who would prefer it; but you may find that after a few days you get used to the new layout. I've got a lengthy post-upgrade to-do list to get through, so I'll post in site news once I've got the other style done.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Nope, that didn't work. Cleared cache and reinstalled Chrome and no change either.

The cyclechat logo is missing as well.

It's even worse on my phone - *all* the icons have gone there. As have all the navigation buttons, so on my phone, Cyclechat is essentially useless. I only have a very basic smartphone (Samsung S2) as I do most of my internetting on my laptop.

Am beginning to think there's a bug in the system somewhere.

Shaun

Founder
@Reynard were you previously using the darker style? If so that may explain it. I've created a temporary new one (still needs a lot of work) - perhaps give it a try and see if that brings back the icons etc.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I was @Shaun but at some point my preferences seem to have reverted to the default. :scratch:I can only see two style options in the preferences menu, however - the default and the darker...

Whichever one I choose, I have missing icons, always the same ones in each case. Most of those are in the menu bar of the reply box and in the share bar under the reply box.

Still have issues on my phone as well, namely no navigation capability, as all those buttons are gone. Basically means CC is redundant on my phone, although to be fair, I don't use my phone much for internetting. It's got me thinking as to whether there might not be some kind of backwards compatibility problem, as neither my laptop or my phone are the latest and greatest...

Top Bottom