Misspelt bike ads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
I look at bike ads quite a bit and it always surprises how many people get the spelling of the bike wrong or don't even know the name of it.....it is written on the bike! Are people really too lazy to do an ad properly or am I being over cynical in wondering if such advertisers are the legal owners?

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
One of my bikes was advertised as a Marlin.

Dont know if it was stolen, but there was something fishy about the advert.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I look at bike ads quite a bit and it always surprises how many people get the spelling of the bike wrong or don't even know the name of it.....it is written on the bike! Are people really too lazy to do an ad properly or am I being over cynical in wondering if such advertisers are the legal owners?

Depends somewhat on the bike I think... many owners aren't bike obsessives and couldn't care less whether they know how to spell Carreara or Boredman, or Raliegh (sic). I think with a very high end bike like say, a Cervelo, then a mis-spelling *might* indicate someone less acquainted with that bike! Not always of course, it's possible for even the keenest and most erudite owner to simply stab the wrong key now and then, and then not spot it. Other owners get the bike as a gift and never really get into cycling, and maybe they genuinely have no idea what the model name is.

So erm, maybe to all of your questions. :okay:

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Depends somewhat on the bike I think... many owners aren't bike obsessives and couldn't care less whether they know how to spell Carreara or Boredman, or Raliegh (sic). I think with a very high end bike like say, a Cervelo, then a mis-spelling *might* indicate someone less acquainted with that bike! Not always of course, it's possible for even the keenest and most erudite owner to simply stab the wrong key now and then, and then not spot it. Other owners get the bike as a gift and never really get into cycling, and maybe they genuinely have no idea what the model name is.

So erm, maybe to all of your questions. :okay:
I know some are just plain old typo's, we have all done it, and that is fair enough. Not being bothered with the correct spelling is more to do with laziness than not being bike obsessive. I should not complain as sometimes a lazy advert can work in a buyer's favour.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oxford English dictionary is American now?! Trump kept that quiet.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
40% of Army recruits have a reading age of 11 years. This may be similar for skilled manual jobs like plastering and bricklaying. I would imagine poor readers are not good writers either. I have no objection to this as society needs all those trades to survive and whilst I can read and write (just), I can't do any of the manual jobs above. So I have no issues at all with bad English or spelling in adverts as long as the content is present. Sometimes it is laziness but I can't prove this when the author may be trying their best.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One of my bikes was advertised as a Marlin.

Dont know if it was stolen, but there was something fishy about the advert.
Marlins are quite fishy.

download.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
40% of Army recruits have a reading age of 11 years. This may be similar for skilled manual jobs like plastering and bricklaying. I would imagine poor readers are not good writers either. I have no objection to this as society needs all those trades to survive and whilst I can read and write (just), I can't do any of the manual jobs above. So I have no issues at all with bad English or spelling in adverts as long as the content is present. Sometimes it is laziness but I can't prove this when the author may be trying their best.
I agree, we all have different levels, I doubt I would have impressed Einstein but there is no doubt a percentage are plain lazy. Most people should be able to copy big writing off the side of a bike though.

Top Bottom