Mixing chain lubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
My touring bike is a Thorn with Rohloff hub gear and to carry on the Rohloff theme, I've been lubing its chain with Rohloff chain lube - until recently, when I ran out.
When I did so, I gave the chain a good 'mickling' and then used 'White Lightning' wet lube. It was dabbed on sparingly and the excess wiped off, but since then, my transmission has felt 'lumpy'. And no, neither pedal or the b/b bearings are shot: I've tested these.
Now this lumpiness may simply be attributable to the unspeakably wet and muddy conditions I'm having to cycle through at the moment, but I think not, as the chain is cleaned meticulously after every ride and is there from the onset of a new ride with a clean chain.
I can only think that, the two lubes simply don't mix.
Anyone else experienced lube incompatibility?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As I understand it one should not mix grease. Grease is just grease but to thicken it various agents are added. Sometimes the agents in different greases react with one another to nullify them so that they no longer provide the viscosity or cohesion they were designed with.
I do not know if this is also true of chain lube but suspect it might be. If it is true it still does not necessarily mean that this is the problem but it could be.
You might try replacing the chain or removing the existing chain and thoroughly degreasing it before starting again.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Well, it was the mixing the lubes.
Gave the chain another damn good mickling and then squeezed out onto it, the last few drops from the Rohloff bottle - luckily, a little goes a long way - and the lumpiness has gone: smooth transmission again and lesson learned.

Top Bottom