Mixing components (campag and shimano)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

mr-marty-martin said:
campags the best there is, it throwing shimano into the mix thats makin in not very good, not the other way roundm;)

Give me a full campag groupo suitable for cross and I'll think about it:tongue:

Archie

Errrr.....
mr-marty-martin said:
campags the best there is, it throwing shimano into the mix thats makin in not very good, not the other way roundm;)
The point Chris Juden makes on the CTC link is the Campag shifters work with Shimano MTB gearing, giving a neater drop bar and low gearing if needed. I can see why some folk would want to go for a mix'n'match system!

Joe

Über Member
Yeh I'd rather not sully my bike with Shimano components, but for my tourer it makes perfect sense to match ergos with a shimano drivetrain. Nice comfy hoods, concealed cables leaving bar bag space, lots of trim on front mech, low gearing, cheap easily available cassettes etc.

As for Young Un, they look like 9 or 10 speed to me so it should be possible to easily mate them to an 8 speed cassette...

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Joe said:
Yeh I'd rather not sully my bike with Shimano components, but for my tourer it makes perfect sense to match ergos with a shimano drivetrain. Nice comfy hoods, concealed cables leaving bar bag space, lots of trim on front mech, low gearing, cheap easily available cassettes etc.

As for Young Un, they look like 9 or 10 speed to me so it should be possible to easily mate them to an 8 speed cassette...

But ideally I want to keep my 9sp cassette? I'm taking it down to the lbs at somepoint next week and seeing if they can sort it. The bloke I bought it off assures me that he had it working perfectly at one point - and I belive him 100%, another thing we are going to try is a longer inner cable as the current one came off a smaller frame and so creates a very tight bend down near the mech.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Joe said:
Enough to cough up for some 9 spd stis?

I'm currently watching some on ebay, so we will see.

mr-marty-martin

maybe not, but you can just file them out so it's no worries cos there only plastic, ive got a alot of campag spacers, not sure what size but think they'll be nine, so i'll have a look in the mornin and if they are you can have them...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
ICNBA to read all of the above properly, but...

Campag 10 Ergos shift a Shimano mech and 8-speed cassette perfectly.

Campag 10 Ergos shift a Shimano mech and 9-speed cassette perfectly if you use the "Hubbub" alternative cable clamp method (google "shimergo" and take the first (ctc) hit).

If you have 9-speed Ergos and want to use a shimano mech and 9-speed, you'll need a Jtek model 3 shiftmate (SJSC sell them)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

mr-marty-martin said:
maybe not, but you can just file them out so it's no worries cos there only plastic, ive got a alot of campag spacers, not sure what size but think they'll be nine, so i'll have a look in the mornin and if they are you can have them...

You've used a bbb cassette right? Are all the sprockets and spacers seperate or is there a cluster?

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

So do you reckon if I bought a campag rear mech, and a bbb shitmano cassette, took out the shimano spacers, put in the campag 9 speed spacers that it would work?

Top Bottom