Mixing components (campag and shimano)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Will1985 said:
You would still need a different cassette Steve. Either way it is going to be about £30 outlay

It needs a new cassette anyway though, so the shift mate outlay would be on top of the cassette outlay.

Joe

Über Member
Shifters should say on the front, if not just count the clicks. 9 clicks = 10 speed, 8 = 9 speed etc
You won't need a shiftmate on top of the cassette if shifters are 10spd or 9spd and you get an 8 spd cassette (peanuts). 10spd ergos shift 8 speed shimano with no modifications, 9 spd ergos shift 8 speed shimano with alternate cable clamping (though I've not personally tried this).
Read CTC link!

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Well I just tried the alternate cable routing thing and that doesn't work either. I give up, I'll have to take it into the lbs/work next week and see if they can sort it.

bonj2

Young Un said:
One thats ten speed, two that would mean I had unmatching shifters, and three, go away your not being helpful!

well you said you wanted cheap! that one WILL WORK, as it's a shimano 9 speed.
beggars can't be choosers i'm afraid...

Works, Looks good, Cheap.
Choose any two.

Also i wasn't aware you had 9 speed as i'm not sure you actually said it was 9 speed in the OP.
Sorry if that isn't helping but your requirements do seem slightly impossible to fulfill.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

bonj said:
well you said you wanted cheap! that one WILL WORK, as it's a shimano 9 speed.
beggars can't be choosers i'm afraid...

Works, Looks good, Cheap.
Choose any two.

Also i wasn't aware you had 9 speed as i'm not sure you actually said it was 9 speed in the OP.
Sorry if that isn't helping but your requirements do seem slightly impossible to fulfill.

Well if you actually read through the thread you would see that I said, on more than one occasion, that it's nine speed. And.....believe it or not, I;m not stupid and I can use ebay;)

Joe

Über Member
Young Un said:
9, I think.
If your ergos are the "new" 9 speed (ie this shape):
campagnolo-mirage-ergopower-levers-9-speed.jpg

Then just get an 8 speed shimano cassette and use hubub routing. £15.
I doubt the lbs will get it working for any cheaper!

Crankarm

Guru
Will1985 said:
It is relevant - each brand uses different parallelogram geometries, so the same length of cable pull will move each cage a different amount. This is why SRAM and Shimano aren't mixable for STIs and rear mechs, even though the cassettes are interchangeable.

I don't do SRAM.

Top Bottom