Mixing Shimano Ultegra with 105 components.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Bednarek

I recently had a bike fitting and the results recommended that I should use a 175mm Crank rather than a 172.5mm. I have found a 175mm Shimano Ultegra Crank Set on EBay at a reasonable price; is it ok to mix the Ultegra Crank Set with the other 105 components on my bike?

RWright

Guru
sounds like a pretty precise bike fit you got there, where did you get it done at?

OP
OP
A

Andy Bednarek

Hi RWright, I had the fit done a bike store called Wheelbase, it is a village called Staveley near Kendal in the Lake District in the UK.

Dan-bo, thanks for the comment, I suspected that the extra 2.5mm wouldn't make much difference; the bike tech suggested it would, but no surprise really as it would mean an extra sale for him.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi RWright, I had the fit done a bike store called Wheelbase, it is a village called Staveley near Kendal in the Lake District in the UK.

Dan-bo, thanks for the comment, I suspected that the extra 2.5mm wouldn't make much difference; the bike tech suggested it would, but no surprise really as it would mean an extra sale for him.

That's local to me - when I was researching my bike purchase at least two assistants there talked a load of old tosh to me eg 105 is much more reliable than Tiagra and CX bikes are too slow.

You'd have to be some serious cyclist to notice 2.5mm on the cranks - and maybe not even then. At a guess different cycling shoes will vary by that sort of amount.

NB: imho an Ultegra crankset is seriously ugly; a 105/Tiagra/FSA looks much nicer.

Nosaj

I've given up on bike shops, they are all just selling machines. I wish I could find one that would just give me honest help.

+1
I have found one and would love to buy from them (my Wife has though), their mechanic is spot on and had my old Sora equipped bike snicking through the gears better than my 105 from another (trendier shop). I have also gone in with a couple of minor but specific mechanical irratations (spokes, couldn't get pedals off and a gear problem - on a bike I didn't buy from them) and they have ranged in cost from £0 to about £5 but they only stock BSOs, Claude Butlers and Merida, nothing wrong with Merida's per se but I'm a bit of cannondale fan boy.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.

Local to me too and after a few 'interesting' visits I'll never give them any of my money:stop:

SWSteve

Guru
I recently had a bike fitting and the results recommended that I should use a 175mm Crank rather than a 172.5mm. I have found a 175mm Shimano Ultegra Crank Set on EBay at a reasonable price; is it ok to mix the Ultegra Crank Set with the other 105 components on my bike?

2.5mm is nothing, you could hae your shoes slacker/tighter than normal and find this kind of difference

Top Bottom