Mmmmm Not impressed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philk

So im riding along having nearly completed my weekend ride of 16 miles, but still moving along at about 18-20 mph.
Im dressed in lycra padded shorts and base layer top , no logos.and as ive said before in pretty heavy at 17 stone.
So i pass this woman who is riding on the pavement doing far less than i am, at which point she says loudly, " at least im not pretending to be something im not".
This pisses me off a little , so at the junction she finally catches me up and i say " excuse me but was that comment aimed at me?" she not saying a word just sits there scowling.
What is it with people these days?

Im at a loss :smile:

ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :laugh:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Some people think that if you're wearing lycra then you should be in the TdF:biggrin:.
I hope you're not one of those with full team kit:ohmy:.
Just carry on riding in what you feel comfortable in.
Congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 1 stone since Nov and struggling to lose any more (I like my wine and beer too much I think). I've also had my knee twisted and not been able to get out on bike for nearly 4 weeks.
I do wear lycra and lycra shorts to boot. Because of my job (I'm a supply teacher) I can't commute but would love to have the excuse to;).

battered

Guru
Bloody good thing hse didn't speak to me like that. By the time I'd finished she'd need counselling.

OP
OP
P

Philk

Thanks for the comments,

Her comment annoyed me somewhat.

Im doing this to get a better quality of life, not to try to impress anyone.

I wear the lycra shorts cos its got padding which helps with the sciatica, left over from my neck op.
and a base layer top, which is nice and cool,
there are minimal logos on the kit , I dont like to look like a moving advert.

Probably didnt like me riding on the road.

She was obviously a nutter...bloody care in the community :laugh:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hi Phil

Take every insult as a compliment and shout " I couldn't agree more" each time, with a firm petulant nod of the head :laugh:

Remember it's your time out on the bike and let no one spoil it for you, wear whatever you like.

I wear lycra shorts, I couldn't care less what people think, I ride with what makes me feel comfortable on the bike, if people have a problem with that, then I hope they lose loads of sleep at night worrying about it, I know I don't. :smile:

congrats on the weight loss, now onto the other two stone :biggrin:

best wishes
Norm

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't care what she thought or said... however you should have made a comment about her pretending to be pedestrian:biggrin:!!!

depending on my mood i'd have either completely ignored her or replied "at least i'm not breaking the law" .l ycra is probably the most comfortable thing to ride a bike in.don't let morons spoil your enjoyment.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Philk said:
So im riding along having nearly completed my weekend ride of 16 miles, but still moving along at about 18-20 mph.
Im dressed in lycra padded shorts and base layer top , no logos.and as ive said before in pretty heavy at 17 stone.
So i pass this woman who is riding on the pavement doing far less than i am, at which point she says loudly, " at least im not pretending to be something im not".
This pisses me off a little , so at the junction she finally catches me up and i say " excuse me but was that comment aimed at me?" she not saying a word just sits there scowling.

Im at a loss :biggrin:

ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :laugh:

Bottom line is mate there are some real jerks on the road, mostly on four wheels. Just smile and ignore them and tell yourself watch a bunch of w*nkers they are. Keep up the mileage!:smile:

GrasB

Veteran
Best to just ignore it but I'd probably say something like "yeah I'm pretending to get fit" in a sarcastic/ironic tone. At the end of the day when you do exercise you put on appropriate clothing for the activity, walking/hiking boots for long distance walking, jogging bottoms/running shorts for running, etc. & cycling lycra is no exception.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wouldn't let it bother you. Just some maddo.

My supervisor says when anyone gives him abuse he looks at them, imagines they are a slug and laughs. I don't know why but give it a try.

Paul_L

Über Member
as others have said don't let it bother you.

It's one of those moments you wish you could come up with an instant witty put down, but you only tend to think of what you wish you'd said after the event.

rh100

Philk said:

Im at a loss :sad:

ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :thumbsup:

Don't let it bother you, treat it with the contempt it deserves. Well done on the weight loss :tongue:

Top Bottom