*Moan alert* Peds and drop kerbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristol Dave

Why oh why do pedestrians insist on standing in the drop kerb area at the start/end of shared cycle ways?

3 separate incidents this morning, all of them a few meters from the correct area for the peds at the crossing.

BD

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's what pedestrians do - it's easy to predict and avoid. I'll admit we might not like having to slow down, but that's our duty.

It's almost always better, safer, and quicker on the road, and this is one reason why.

It's some sort of human psychological trait - I think it's about transition points and not committing onself. For instance, standing at pub counter hatches, coming to a stop at the top of the escalator to fiddle with something, going through a door and coming to a dead stop to fiddle with something. Very evident once you are looking for it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bristol Dave said:
Why oh why do pedestrians insist on standing in the drop kerb area at the start/end of shared cycle ways?

3 separate incidents this morning, all of them a few meters from the correct area for the peds at the crossing.

BD

Hmm my worst one for that is coming out of Broadmead - wanting to go to St James Barton Roundabout - pedestrian crossing part is perhaps 3m wide, cyclists part less than a metre.

Went to link to it in google streetview and even in that view a pedestrian is standing in the cycle bit!!!
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...XBsFbURNExEatC_7RA8Vsg&cbp=12,147.08,,0,33.76

and nobody standing in the other main part of the pedestrian way!!!:birthday: At that point you need to go right so you need to be in that position at the crossing or you cut up the pedestrians.

OP
OP
B

Bristol Dave

BentMikey said:
That's what pedestrians do - it's easy to predict and avoid. I'll admit we might not like having to slow down, but that's our duty.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate riding them down with a loud shout of "have at you!" :smile:

The last one this morning left me shaking my head and muttering. A young lady carrying a tray of coffee and trying to cross at a very busy junction when 10 meters in either direction is a pelican crossing! The drop kerb is clearly for cyclists (at least in my mind ;) ) and was the slowest option for her - as the traffic would always be against her as the lights at the junction changed. Also she would be hampered in a scamper because of the tray of coffee.

It as just occurred that it must be damned good coffee if it is worth risking life and limb for :hyper:

BD

OP
OP
B

Bristol Dave

Thanks summerdays. I sometimes use that crossing and it can be a nightmare. Often very busy with peds weaving left and right.

BD

Top Bottom