Moan: Too many receipts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
In Jacksons (convenience store, now under the wing of Sainsburys), you don't even get a receipt printed unless you want one, to save waste and litter. So it's not a universal trend to insist you take one.

One of my old bosses once nearly got into a punchup when he demanded a VAT reciept from an ice cream van... :rolleyes:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I keep the ones I need, and the rest go in the compost bin! :rolleyes:

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
In Jacksons (convenience store, now under the wing of Sainsburys),...
Good old Jacko's. I used to live in Hull and there was a Jacko's on every corner. Went back there a few months ago and they were all mini-Sainsbury's. :rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Good old Jacko's. I used to live in Hull and there was a Jacko's on every corner. Went back there a few months ago and they were all mini-Sainsbury's. :blush:

I used to live over one. We used to wonder if we could install a hatch in the floor so that we could send down a basket, list and money, rather than be arsed to go downstairs when we needed something...:rolleyes:

barq

dan_bo said:
yeah but in a pub? it's hardly as though you're gonna return a pint is it?

I was delayed at Crewe station recently and decided to nip into the pub for a quick pint. They had a sign at the bar saying "If we don't give you a receipt for your drink, we'll refund the price". I guess you'd have to ask right away or it would be a bit hard to prove.

barq

Maz said:
How does that work? Are you relying on the store's good will?

Well you need some proof that the transaction look place: Dixons have store logs so if you can tell them the date of purchase then they can find the transaction, match it with your method of payment... hey presto. Lots of stores sell own brand products, in other cases the serial number can be a clue. If you loose your receipt but have paid by plastic then it is easy enough to use a statement as proof. Even taking the product back in a bag from that shop can help swing things your way.

Shops are usually quite cooperative about like-for-like exchanges, cash refunds are harder to obtain without a receipt for obvious reasons.

Arch

Married to Night Train
spandex said:
Its not just Receipts its bags as well there is so meny shops that just put the things you buying in bags. I was in a shop in Moray (scotland) and all I was getting was some lip balm and mints and the bloke put into a bag! Why

Or they have been trained to offer unecessary help. I was in Morrisons a while back and the lad said "Would you like any help packing?" and I looked at my ready open rucksack, and my one pack of bread rolls and one piece of cheese and thought "How feeble does he think I am?" I mean, I managed to carry the stuff to the checkout without help... But I know it's just been drummed into them, and if they were caught not offering, they'd probably get in trouble... It's not high on the list of world troubles I know, but it is irritating...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not receipts, but another pointless exercise in giving the customer sonmething that some eejit has decided we both want and need....
Pub I occasionally go to from work (I hate the place, but colleagues seem to like it) always and without fail put a serviette under each pint/drink they serve. I said to the guy on my first vist not to bother, but he said they have to... even if i don't want it? askethed I?... yes, he says... so you don't care what the customer thinks? I retorted? at this point a colleague eased me away from the bar..... ;)

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Fnaar said:
Not receipts, but another pointless exercise in giving the customer sonmething that some eejit has decided we both want and need....
Pub I occasionally go to from work (I hate the place, but colleagues seem to like it) always and without fail put a serviette under each pint/drink they serve. I said to the guy on my first vist not to bother, but he said they have to... even if i don't want it? askethed I?... yes, he says... so you don't care what the customer thinks? I retorted? at this point a colleague eased me away from the bar..... ;)

And that, I think, is at the root of the matter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aperitif said:
The guy in the pub was probably daydreaming when doing his 'training'...he went to the pub and started giving 'serviettes with a smile'

;);)

We need a 'Groan!' smiley....

bonj2

i often take a rect as I am suspicious some security guard or other will try to stop me and say I've nicked it, especially if I go back in the shop and buy something else or look around, and / or don't take a bag.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They keep trying to give me a receipt when I buy a newspaper in Borders.

I've not been given a faulty one yet.
Try a copy of the Daily Wail... then take it back and say it's full of sh!te :biggrin:

Top Bottom