Mobile bike repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparty69

Hi, I've not been on for a while but I would appreciate your feedback regarding my intention to set up a mobile bike repair service. Is this the kind of service you would use?. I am researching the whole business but, as yet, I have not invested any money and before I do I need some idea as to whether or not it is a viable business proposition. I appreciate that a lot of people on this forum will have the capability to carry out basic running maintenance and repair jobs on their bikes, however, I believe that there is a market out there for this kind of service. More and more people are getting into cycling, even if it is only as a casual user or as a means of saving money on fuel. Thanks in advance of your assistance. Andy.

musa

Über Member
You need to do serious market research? You have to see wether people would go looking for a number for someone to come? 9/10 would probably just to their LBS.

Next you'll have to consider ye area your in. What is the amount of cycling being done? And with that how far your willing to travel etc? Can you cost this in and afford the running total? Its all about reputation you'll need good quality parts if a customer requires it

I wanted to use this service and that was only because I was at work and needed work doing to pass time

compo

Veteran
I know a chap who does this service. He also works full time in a "proper" job to pay his bills. He claims there is no way he could make a full time living from it.

OP
OP
S

sparty69

I'm working full time at the moment and so would not be relying on it to pay the bills initially. I work shifts and have the time inbetween to dedicate to building this business. I live in Glossop and would look to cover the Glossopdale/Tameside and East Manchester areas. I'm a keen cyclist and know that this area is a popular cyclists area and that there is a high volume of cyclists that live and work in the vicinity. Having done the Great Manchester Cycle event on Monday it is apparent just how big a potential market there is out there. I'm under no illusions that this is going to be a get rich quick business. It'll be hard work for little reward, but if I can make enough to cover my costs initially then I will be happy. From there I can build a reputation and customer base that may lead to bigger and better things. I will be cytech 2 trained as well before I start to advertise my services, I am keen to promote a professional image.

defy-one

Go for it - if you break even initially - all good.

I would use a mobile mechanic if I could find one in my area

OP
OP
S

sparty69

This has come up before, not surprisingly ... ^_^

There may be other threads too ...

A quick Search on the forum could be beneficial ... :whistle:

Thanks for that. I had a look at the link and there was a lot of positive feedback. It certainly seems to be a service that would be used, it's a question of advertising and promoting in the right place. I have contacted a couple of large companies who I know operate the cycle to work scheme, just awaiting replies. For anyone who reads this and is interested, I will be operating under 'cycle tech manchester' and will hopefully be up and running in August ^_^.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we use a mobile bike mechanic, but not for every job. To take as an example - I need my mech hanger checked to see if it's vertical - that's best done in a proper workshop. The mobile mechanic has a first rate relationship with a good LBS, who happens to be a Madison dealer - so he's able to order stuff in very rapidly - and I think that's the key to his success

OP
OP
S

sparty69

we use a mobile bike mechanic, but not for every job. To take as an example - I need my mech hanger checked to see if it's vertical - that's best done in a proper workshop. The mobile mechanic has a first rate relationship with a good LBS, who happens to be a Madison dealer - so he's able to order stuff in very rapidly - and I think that's the key to his success

I am able to get a trade account with Madison, so wouldn't have a problem with parts.

seashaker

I know there is a local in Swindon who has been going for years, picks bikes up from your house and drops back again next day. Competitive prices, have used him in the past and know a few others that do as well. A decent local advertising campaign def needed, I always try to use local services if I can, at the min though use a LBS (well triathlon shop) thats nearby as get running stuff from them as well.

Brad

The local bike shop experience is one that I like doing, going to the shop, discussing with what can be done with the bike along with having a browse around the store, so PERSONALLY, I wouldn't use a mobile repair service. That's just my opinion though :smile:

Herbie

Veteran
Hi, I've not been on for a while but I would appreciate your feedback regarding my intention to set up a mobile bike repair service. Is this the kind of service you would use?. I am researching the whole business but, as yet, I have not invested any money and before I do I need some idea as to whether or not it is a viable business proposition. I appreciate that a lot of people on this forum will have the capability to carry out basic running maintenance and repair jobs on their bikes, however, I believe that there is a market out there for this kind of service. More and more people are getting into cycling, even if it is only as a casual user or as a means of saving money on fuel. Thanks in advance of your assistance. Andy.

I think its a great idea and i would use a service like this as i'm crap at anything mechanical...i wish you well...good luck

brockers

I've toyed with this idea for some time, and while I can see it working, I think there would be easier ways to make money (and where you don't end up getting sick of bicycles!). I've also heard you'll need to equip yourself with a (pretty pointless imo) Cytech just to get the public liability insurance. One problem might be the amount of stock and equipment - things like freewheels and removers, and all the tools for different cranks and chainsets for example. The upfront costs aren't going to be pretty either (van, insurance, Cytech, insurance, tools and spares). The way I'd go about it would be to try and get a bit of on-site spannering work in a shop first (even non-paid if necessary) just to find out what sort of problems you'll encounter and the stuff you'll need. I know of one bloke who tried it and went back to a workshop as the constant hassle of making sure the van was stocked with every part was too much aggro, and then another guy I met on a club ride (might even have been this guy) who told me he's doing OK at it (though he spent a couple of years spannering at Evans prior to going it alone). There's another outfit doing it near me who're on CycleFix, who also have a market stall on Saturdays to which people bring their bikes. They ( or he) manage to charge silly money for what I consider to be stupendously easy tasks. Mind you this is in a pretty pretentious area of SE London (remember the 'I Saw You Coming' Harry Enfield sketch?') where there's a lot of money around and where people consider those who can wield an Allen key (or doing anything remotely practical) to be some sort of genius.

OP
OP
S

sparty69

Thanks for all the feedback guys, a mixed bunch of positive and negative. I have looked long and hard at it and am aware of the outlay and pitfalls, but I am still willing to give it a go. I'm not afraid of hard work and know that the first couple of years will be difficult, finding customers (and my feet :-)), with little reward, hopefully enough to recoup my initial outlay. I am determined to give it a go and make a success, so I will keep you all posted as to how I'm doing, and if you find yourself in the Tameside, Glossop area in need of a repair to your bike, give me a call :-).

Top Bottom