Mobile bike repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There was a guy in this area once who had a mobile bike repair business but he combined it with fixing PC problems- one consideration might be other types of businesses which you could combine with mobile bike repair.

I think it could work, you'll have to create a fair bit of the demand yourself. I'm often being asked to do simple jobs on bikes for people I know, there's a whole load of folks who use bikes for transport but have very limited maintenance skills who might use a mobile service but they aren't likely to go looking for it. There's a guy in the local market who is making a good go of repairing bikes- often what we would refer to as BSOs on here. I suspect his customers would not go into the (relatively high-end) cycle shop in town.

XCM

If you live somewhere with no really local bike shop (ie people need to drive into town to get their bike to the shop), then start by advertising locally as a local service. Build up a loyal customer base...it'll happen quickly if you live in such a location (and you have the knowledge and exprience to ensure an excellent quality of work). Then start advertising the mobile service to a wider market later, using your existing customers to help you out by spreading the word. Works a treat...I've just done exactly that!

www.justbikerepairs.co.uk

It helps that I've worked in the Edinburgh cycle trade for half my life (so I could get parts cheap locally and didn't initially carry much stock, but did ensure a quick turnaround) and that I already had most of the tools. If you're not in this position it may be a bit harder, and there will be more of an initial outlay...but I'd still recommend you go for it!

I'm now stocked to do 90% of repairs at people's houses, and if I need to order in parts I can have them in 24hrs and beat ALL the local bike shop prices and turnaround times....it's only taken a year or so to get to that stage.

Mate, go for it! But don't be half assed about it...commit, and go for it!

Sorry, this has been blatant plugging...but hopefully good advice too!!

OP
OP
S

sparty69

If you live somewhere with no really local bike shop (ie people need to drive into town to get their bike to the shop), then start by advertising locally as a local service. Build up a loyal customer base...it'll happen quickly if you live in such a location (and you have the knowledge and exprience to ensure an excellent quality of work). Then start advertising the mobile service to a wider market later, using your existing customers to help you out by spreading the word. Works a treat...I've just done exactly that!

www.justbikerepairs.co.uk

It helps that I've worked in the Edinburgh cycle trade for half my life (so I could get parts cheap locally and didn't initially carry much stock, but did ensure a quick turnaround) and that I already had most of the tools. If you're not in this position it may be a bit harder, and there will be more of an initial outlay...but I'd still recommend you go for it!

I'm now stocked to do 90% of repairs at people's houses, and if I need to order in parts I can have them in 24hrs and beat ALL the local bike shop prices and turnaround times....it's only taken a year or so to get to that stage.

Mate, go for it! But don't be half assed about it...commit, and go for it!

Sorry, this has been blatant plugging...but hopefully good advice too!!

Cheers XCM, that's really encouraging advice. I will heed it and go for it. ^_^

festival

Über Member
Ask yourself why there is not a thriving mobile workshop business everywhere.
Its almost impossible to come up with any kind of new idea that will give you a living nowadays, they either don't work or someone has beaten you to it.
Although interest in cycling is booming most bike shops are surviving on doing deals and the money brought in from repairs & servicing.
The set up and running costs will be considerable considering the likely profit, but putting all this negative stuff aside, how many people do a job the love, its a lifestyle choice but just don't expect to make your fortune.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well I suppose if you are happy to survive on a couple of hundred quid a week at very best I would suggest you try it, for any more forget it.

I sell business start up packages, and train people to succeed and have done so with good success for many years. An interest in what you are going to be working on is very seldom what I want to here from new guys, if fact from experience those guys are doomed from the start. Nowadays you must first be focused on sales and marketing and be totally proactive in both to succeed.

Cycles are often seen by many as a cheap object and people expect repairs to be cheap. It is unlikely you will be able to charge the £50 per hour needed to make a good living whilst on the tools.

Now be proactive and go and ask your question on a car forum or a canoeing forum etc. because that is where you will get good answers from, see if they will employ somebody to come a service their bikes.

Combine cycle repair in with window cleaning, carpet cleaning, patio washing, grass and hedge cutting and then you may get a reasonable income.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
There is a bloke in my village who does bike repairs from his garage, went to have a chat to him and its all BSO's and halford full suspension jobbies that he deals with and hasnt worked on road bikes before. seems to enjoy tinkering and is easy enough to chat too, the nearest bike shop to me is about 8 miles away, halfords are further still so a mobile mechanic that could come to my work to fiddle would be great!

im in bristol this week so the LBS by my mums will get a good hammering if they can book me in! if not it will be Evans :sad:

Maylian

Veteran
Got to admit I only recently came upon this kind of industry in Southampton. I noticed a business called Urge and it is a service I will be using, as with most people here I love my LBS but sometimes getting the bike in before it shuts is a pain, especially if you don't have access to a car.

Urge seem to be doing lots of advertising in my area as well, Facebook is probably a good start since you'll find that most friends will have similar interests so word of mouth may spread it faster. Also free workshops and checks which is where I saw them, obviously depending on when you're thinking of setting this up you could pop to your local skyride and meet cyclists there as well. Personally think its a great idea, not sure how much money is in it though.

screenman

Legendary Member
So what would you guys think a reasonable hourly labour rate would be?

lpretro1

There are already a few hundred mobile cycle repair outfits - see www.cyclefix.net for those who are qualified mechanics and are insured. How they operate varies - many have workshops as well as the mobile unit so can offer a broad range of services. I started up my own business 8 years ago and help to teach trainee mechanics at one of the country's best training schools. I work hard and make a living and enjoy it - as do many of these guys and gals. Mobiles are way more flexible than shops in both services provided and the hours they operate and where - hone, office, factory.

OP
OP
S

sparty69

I complete my Cytech 2 training tomorrow, then I'll be ready to start advertising and working. There are a couple of other guys on the course doing the same thing as me. I'll keep you posted as to how things progress (that's if you're interested of course :-) ).

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I complete my Cytech 2 training tomorrow, then I'll be ready to start advertising and working. There are a couple of other guys on the course doing the same thing as me. I'll keep you posted as to how things progress (that's if you're interested of course :-) ).

A lad tried it around our way for a couple of years, he was from a cycle trade background. Unfortunately it didn't work out and he had to get a normal job again. That was a real shame as he only lived 5 minutes down the road from me, turn round was quick, work was good, prices good and he was a real nice guy, who you could chat with about ideas for the bike etc.
I wish he was still in business as I would still be using his services. Good luck with your venture I wish you well.

Servicemycycle

Its life Jim but not as we know it!
I do it part time at the moment! in the process of setting up a online store then I can get my bricks and mortar store!
go for it and good luck if you want to discuss idea's and what works for me drop me a PM

John :smile:

OP
OP
S

sparty69

Thanks John, I've dropped you a PM. I'm trying part time to start with to see if it's viable. I passed my Cytech 2 and wheel building course so I'm all ready to go now. My website is nearly ready www.cycletechtameside.co.uk, please visit and have a look.

lpretro1

There ARE thriving mobile repair businesses all over the country - see www.cyclefix.net
I set up my business 8 years ago and every year gets busier and busier. If you are prepared to work hard then you can make it work - you won't make millions but it's great fun.
BTW Cytech is NOT the only qualification - far better is the City & Guilds - see http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/ and they will give you lots of help setting up your business too and ongoing support.

Top Bottom