Mobile Phone Incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hackbike, did you mean earlier no action was taken against the guy on the phone or them being beaten up? If it is the former I find that fairly disturbing, you have witness, accident and phone record. That's pretty poor if it is the case.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

marinyork said:
Hackbike, did you mean earlier no action was taken against the guy on the phone or them being beaten up? If it is the former I find that fairly disturbing, you have witness, accident and phone record. That's pretty poor if it is the case.

That;s what Im was told.I saw some guy in his car when I went to have a word with my work colleague.I think his car was attacked not by my work colleague though.He cycles the same route as me but at different times.

I thought mobile phone records but I was told lack of evidence whether he was using the mobile phone.Seems the norm now doesn't it?

I think private prosecutions may be in order but still evidence is needed because at the end of the day whatever some dickhead has done out there he''s going to lie through his back teeth.

Bigtwin

hackbike 666 said:
I thought mobile phone records but I was told lack of evidence whether he was using the mobile phone.Seems the norm now doesn't it?

To apply to get the usage records from the Mobile Co, the dibble have turned it into a massive paperwork exercise. request has to be justified and approved by, IIRC, inspector or above. He has quotas not to exceed coz of Human Rights Law infringement and Data Protection Issues and all the rest of that rancid old bollix - even for missing persons. So they tend not to bother.

Just looking at the "outgoing calls" record on the handset seems to be completely beyond them, even at a roadside accident.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Bigtwin said:
Forget it - I see dozens a day. The bottom line is that you can text and phone away to your heart's delights with impunity. I've even seen on more than once occasion police cars at a junction beside someone talking with a phone to their ear - clearly having seen them - and completely ignore it. There is no enforcement at all - which is what the Police said when the law came in - they essentially just pretend it's not on the statute book.

I saw a lovely slow speed shunt a couple of months back where a woman texted her way into the back of the car in front at about 10-15 mph. She even carried on and finished the message before she got out of the car!
to much paper work is the reason behind it. less paper work and sure the cops will do something

marinyork

hackbike 666 said:
That;s what Im was told.I saw some guy in his car when I went to have a word with my work colleague.I think his car was attacked not by my work colleague though.He cycles the same route as me but at different times.

I think private prosecutions may be in order but still evidence is needed because at the end of the day whatever some dickhead has done out there he''s going to lie through his back teeth.

FFS. Potential injury and messier insurance claim for the other side claiming. Gimme in terms of getting some points for some moron on the phone causing an accident. Losers all round, except the tosser.

Bigtwin

gaz said:
to much paper work is the reason behind it. less paper work and sure the cops will do something

I remember all the whining about this when the law came in - not enough manpower, overstretch etc etc.

Must be about the easiest gig for a traffic cop. Stop - fixed penalty and a producer, figures up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hackbike 666 said:
Looks like with no backup from plod we can't stop it.

Then again some of the driving in this weather is pretty atrocious as well.

That's what I mean, just generally crap driving, lack of patience, lack of consideration...

I regard myself as a competent driver. I'm well aware that I'm not perfect, and never will be, but will always be learning (I mean from experience, not lessons, I passed my test decades ago), but I reckon I'm pretty familiar with the law, and happy to give way when it comes to it. But so many people out there seem to see every drive as their own personal crusade to get there as fast as they can, without having to make any mental effort...

Bigtwin said:
I remember all the whining about this when the law came in - not enough manpower, overstretch etc etc.

Must be about the easiest gig for a traffic cop. Stop - fixed penalty and a producer, figures up.

Why can't CCTV be used for this? Send out fines to the reg address, pay or we crush your car. Might prevent a good many people using a phone if they actually knew there was a good chance of getting caught....in town centres at least.

marinyork

semislickstick said:
Why can't CCTV be used for this? Send out fines to the reg address, pay or we crush your car. Might prevent a good many people using a phone if they actually knew there was a good chance of getting caught....in town centres at least.

It might work. Then again I'm inclined to think not given the inability to police bus gates with such systems that only have to demonstrate car was there and car had number plate x. Mobile use is far harder to spot.

semislickstick said:
Hasn't it been tried? Didn't some local authority or police force somewhere put out a Smart car with a periscope camera to catch VED dodgers and phone users in their cars? You could hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth across the Country ... "persecuting the otherwise law abiding motorist", "tax on the law abiding motorist", "Big Brother", "1984", etc etc

marinyork

Lazy-Commuter said:
Hasn't it been tried? Didn't some local authority or police force somewhere put out a Smart car with a periscope camera to catch VED dodgers and phone users in their cars? You could hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth across the Country ... "persecuting the otherwise law abiding motorist", "tax on the law abiding motorist", "Big Brother", "1984", etc etc

I don't know, I think I remember something like that. In my own local authority there has been talk about parking enforcement around two schools being done by CCTV and dishing out parking tickets that way. Again that's much easier. Obvious double yellow line, obvious car parked there. They struggle with bus lane enforcement as it is.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Arch said:
That's what I mean, just generally crap driving, lack of patience, lack of consideration...

I regard myself as a competent driver. I'm well aware that I'm not perfect, and never will be, but will always be learning (I mean from experience, not lessons, I passed my test decades ago), but I reckon I'm pretty familiar with the law, and happy to give way when it comes to it. But so many people out there seem to see every drive as their own personal crusade to get there as fast as they can, without having to make any mental effort...

I think it's get tfrom A to B as fast as generally possible.

Then after that we stopped at the lights at Bethnal Green and who should pass from the direction of Hackney but 4 kids in a BMW with foot to the floor.Good old boy racers.

Top Bottom