Mobile phone use while in stationary car??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
No, but the Directors Guidance defines what "in control" means.

It's great sport grassing offenders up to their companies. I've had one sacked since early last month.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've always thought that this definition was utterly ridiculous. I appreciate its "the law" but there needs to be some common sense applied here

If I'm in a layby, handbrake on, engine running, I am zero risk to anyone if I use my mobile

Please don't say "well that's the law". I know it is. What I'm arguing is that this particular law is an ass

Drago

Legendary Member
It cuts down on grey areas excuses, and time wasting whittling in court. If youre in a lay by anyway, it takes a split second to apply handbrake and shut down engine, so it's pretty much a non event. In this day and age very few cars area available without Bluetooth, so there's no excuse.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
We get RLJd on average twice a week on the school run. Main culprit? Phones.

No grey areas. Make it black and white. Simple. You’ve got to be pretty ignorant to resort to using your phone while driving. I’ve seen people approaching the double roundabouts watching video. Why? Why? It boils my blood.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thing that double annoys me is the number of cars with pooptooth fitted where the drivers still use a handheld phone. What a wrong with these People?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've always thought that this definition was utterly ridiculous. I appreciate its "the law" but there needs to be some common sense applied here

If I'm in a layby, handbrake on, engine running, I am zero risk to anyone if I use my mobile

Please don't say "well that's the law". I know it is. What I'm arguing is that this particular law is an ass
Where should the line be drawn? Engine running, in gear with foot on the clutch, perhaps?

Everyone knows the rules, break them and don't complain if you get done. Turning the engine off is hardly a time consuming chore.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It cuts down on grey areas excuses, and time wasting whittling in court. If youre in a lay by anyway, it takes a split second to apply handbrake and shut down engine, so it's pretty much a non event. In this day and age very few cars area available without Bluetooth, so there's no excuse.

It does, but the law has to be perceived as reasonable. Say I was parked in a car park, engine running to keep the heater going on a cold day, handbrake applied. Id be pretty pissed off if I was prosecuted for use of a mobile phone under those circumstances, as would, I suspect, the majority of people

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks for the help. It seems clear now that it is.....
1) safely PARKED
2) Handbrake on
3) Ignition off

As my OP I did wonder if I had to take the key out.....but apparently not.
I can understand @nickyboy's thinking though.
Its obvious (I think) that this law hasnt been made clear enough as people have such differing views on it.

A very "law abiding" guy I know was trying to tell me that he often has an electric shave while driving to work and it was quite legal.
He was shocked when I told him about a man in Scotland being jailed and banned for doing that.

Drago

Legendary Member
It does, but the law has to be perceived as reasonable. Say I was parked in a car park, engine running to keep the heater going on a cold day, handbrake applied. Id be pretty pissed off if I was prosecuted for use of a mobile phone under those circumstances, as would, I suspect, the majority of people

Then turn turn the key 60 degrees anti clockwise, and you won't be pithed off. What's so unreasonable about that? It's not exactly onerous.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Then turn turn the key 60 degrees anti clockwise, and you won't be pithed off. What's so unreasonable about that? It's not exactly onerous.

It's not onerous to do so, nor is it any way dangerous not to do so

What I would hope is that the police would take a reasonable view that whist an offence is being committed, it would be a complete waste of time to do anything about it. Despite what the busy bodies reporting me may think

tom73

Guru
The whole using phone when driving needs to become socially unacceptable like none use of seat belt and drink driving (well on the most part) People need to remember it wont kill you not being able to reply to that "all important" message. But you may kill someone if you do. In my area our ex Police Chief Constable use to say if you can afford a car you can afford to fit handsfree. (pre common built in bluetooth) Call in to any custody suite and see what most police think of someone they bring in for using phone and driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
And then they moan we can add, "in Charge of a motor vehicle, failing to obey instruction of a constable in uniform." £50 bonus for a 3 in 1.

It's common lore among coppers, and in my experience was reasonably true, that people committing one offence will think little about committing others. Pull a driver for something minor and one usually didn't need to look too hard to find something more serious.

Top Bottom