Mobile phone use while in stationary car??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What is unreasonable about switching off an engine? You shouldn't be idling unnecessarily anyway.
A few years ago I was working in Switzerland. Cold morning.....I started the car and sat while windows cleared etc. Knock on the window........a group of school kids telling me not to sit with the engine going. Considered myself told off

Slick

Guru
A very "law abiding" guy I know was trying to tell me that he often has an electric shave while driving to work and it was quite legal. He was shocked when I told him about a man in Scotland being jailed and banned for doing that.[/QUOTE said:
Must be a Scottish thing, as I was once stopped after a long night shift in Clydebank and the charge quoted by the officer was "Drinking a bottle of ginger in a moving motor, pal." I didn't know wether to laugh or cry.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It does, but the law has to be perceived as reasonable. Say I was parked in a car park, engine running to keep the heater going on a cold day, handbrake applied. Id be pretty pissed off if I was prosecuted for use of a mobile phone under those circumstances, as would, I suspect, the majority of people

You ought to be charged with polluting in an enclosed space as well.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If youre anywhere in a public place - road, parking bay, middle of a field for a car boot sale - and the engine is running, the offence is complete.

Thats the (CPS) Directors guidance on the matter. Engine off, handbrake applied, not manipulating any controls.

I wonder if stop/start and auto handbrake technology now means the guidance needs updating? Otherwise I could see Mr Loophole making even more money.

The stop/start bit is interesting.
If the driver stops, car in neutral, handbrake on, the stop/start will shut the engine down - most reasonable people would argue that the engine is now 'off' (it's not running, no fuel is being burned, no emissions are being produced). However, thanks to the wonders of technology, the car can switch the engine back on at any second and without warning, a matter over which the driver has no control.
Is the driver then committing an offence? Presumably technically yes, although they'd be unlucky to find a particularly zealous constable observing them doing so?

Not that any of this matters to me, as my car has one of those incredibly rare working Bluetooth systems :whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5405623, member: 9609"]and from my experience of being stopped, all you have to do is pass the attitude test - just be nice and friendly and I have never know a copper be anything other than nice and friendly back. No point winding them up like some idiots do.

(I have done a colossal mileage in my time, could be as little as a pull over once every half million klicks)[/QUOTE]
So it was my "Haven't you got anything better to do than harrassing law abiding motorists, you jumped up little Hitler", that got me nicked? I did wonder why they went to all that trouble over a brake light :unsure:

classic33

Leg End Member
Must be a Scottish thing, as I was once stopped after a long night shift in Clydebank and the charge quoted by the officer was "Drinking a bottle of ginger in a moving motor, pal." I didn't know wether to laugh or cry.
Don't drink and drive.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The stop/start bit is interesting.
If the driver stops, car in neutral, handbrake on, the stop/start will shut the engine down - most reasonable people would argue that the engine is now 'off' (it's not running, no fuel is being burned, no emissions are being produced). However, thanks to the wonders of technology, the car can switch the engine back on at any second and without warning, a matter over which the driver has no control.
Is the driver then committing an offence? Presumably technically yes, although they'd be unlucky to find a particularly zealous constable observing them doing so?

Not that any of this matters to me, as my car has one of those incredibly rare working Bluetooth systems :whistle:

Not necessarily. Mrs B's car will not switch off when the car is in neutral, but will when stopped, with the foot brake applied when in gear. And i believe Mrs @I like Skol 's vehicle does the same. :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not necessarily. Mrs B's car will not switch off when the car is in neutral, but will when stopped, with the foot brake applied when in gear. And i believe Mrs @I like Skol 's vehicle does the same. :smile:

The sequence I listed is how it works in my car - it will also shut the engine down if it's in gear with the clutch depressed and not moving. It doesn't need the handbrake to be applied.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Texting whilst stationery is deemed normal round here. In fact, one driver I sat with recently got his phone out and responded to a text whilst doing 80mph in the third lane of the motorway. He was using the cat's eyes to identify if he was veering out of his lane. Absolutely mad.

Told him I will never again take a ride in a car he was driving.

Top Bottom