Mobile tubeless repair options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Out of interest has anybody had experience of a plug and mudguards with tight clearance between the metal plates on the inner surface of the mudguard that carries the front fork bracket and the tyre surface. I wonder if this would catch the protruding plug and pull it out as the wheel rotates.
I very much doubt this would be a problem as it's only a very small tail which protudes and usually disappears in a few minutes riding.

If the tyre to guard clearance were so tight as cause I think you would experience frequent problems with road debris, mud, leaves etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Another thing. Either carry a mini folding pair of pliers or make sure you don't overtighten the lock nut on the valve. I've read of someone who was unable to remove the valve to put a tube in because of that.

I use mudguards that are fairly close. I've only ever used a plug once. From memory it rubbed a bit, then after a while stopped rubbing (presumably as it got flattened down against the road)
This is a very good point and one I haven't thought of. I now need to find some suitable pliers!

In a similar vein note that some valves require an Allen key to loosen them on the inside.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Have you never been caught out yet ?
Not yet! I've been on tubeless for circa 8k km and haven't had a puncture that didn't self-seal yet. I always use tyres rated highly for puncture resistance (Mavic Yksion to start with, then shifting to Conti GP 5000) and use Orange Seal sealant, so I'm giving myself the best shot at avoiding it.
So far I've always had options to get back in a pinch (mostly phoning the wife, who would be very angry, but would have done it!). But this summer I'll be off in a new country completely on my own. So the risks are real!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Interesting tubeless moment today. Was pedalling up a steep hill about 400masl, the sky was pitch black and it started to hail. I then heard the tell tale sound of sealant spraying on the mudguard with each revolution. Oh dear I thought…

I got to the top of the hill and inspected the tyre, lashed by what was now rain. It still felt reasonably firm so I decided not to touch it. Part of me was pleased that the sealant had done its stuff and allowed me to carry on at a tricky moment in the ride, but I was also apprehensive about trying to reinflate with the mini pump and the sealant bung failing or having a valve issue. Last time it happened I tried to put air in and it just blew the sealant out once the pressure increased. I then tried a worm and it wouldn’t stay in place. I will Investigate tomorrow in the garage and see if it inflates to a normal pressure otherwise it is a dynaplug or similar. I need to build confidence in roadside repairs if I’m going to stick with tubeless!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'm planning on doing a lot of solo rides this year, and in the past I've just gambled that I wouldn't puncture with tubeless.... this won't cut it for this summer though!

Could I get advice on the best way to tackle punctures for tubeless whilst on the move?

carry a inner tube. i have carried one for 2 years, ever since i went tubeless,

Top Bottom