Mobile tubeless repair options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

I'm planning on doing a lot of solo rides this year, and in the past I've just gambled that I wouldn't puncture with tubeless.... this won't cut it for this summer though!

Could I get advice on the best way to tackle punctures for tubeless whilst on the move?

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese

Obviously smoking is the answer^_^

I have found not all sealants are equal, I once tried a eco friendly non latex one and I might as well put water in. I use Stans race as it will fill bigger holes than normal stans due to the lumpy crystals in it.. The only problem being that you cant inject it through the valve body even with the cores removed. Then as backup I carry a stans

Stans No Tubes DART.​

And if the shoot really hits the fan a inner tube and tyre boot patch.

si_c

Guru
There are a number of options, depending on the severity of the puncture. For most punctures the sealant should do it's job, for slightly larger punctures (cuts up to say 5mm long) you can use tubeless plugs, they just push through the hole and provide something for the sealant to work with.

Anything larger than that and you're in the sort of territory where a tube would be rupturing through the tyre anyway and you'd need to replace the tyre. For this scenario you need to remove the tyre, and tubeless valve, clean the tyre where the rupture is and apply a tyre boot. Then fit an inner tube and proceed.

That should cover most situations, and handily you can carry all this in a small saddlebag.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sealant will generally do it's job for you and when tyres need replacing you'll possibly be surprised by the number of seals you can see inside the tyre.

Carry a plug kit. I have the one pictured and have used it three times. It takes five minutes at most to plug a hole and inflate. The repair is permanent and mine stayed in place till the tyres needed replacing. Large holes or slashes can take larger plugs or two if needed. Whichever plug kit you chose get a metal one, you don't need a piece of plastic snapping on you.

I still carry a tube and tyre boot for major failures. I once hit a piece of glass which left a 1cm slash in the tyre wall. Wrestling the tyre off in heavy rain is a filthy, sticky and difficult task.

Screenshot_20220225-143902_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Awesome, thanks all.

Do you need to take a knife with you to cut off the plug (assuming road slick tyre), or just ride on?

livpoksoc

Guru
Awesome, thanks all.

Do you need to take a knife with you to cut off the plug (assuming road slick tyre), or just ride on?
The cutting section of pliers would do it if you carry a pair, but you can just leave the plug out, it'll wear down eventually so long as it isn't smacking your frame.

I have personally struggled with plugs, but have now got a stans dart set for when I swap my tyres over and start using stan's sealant.

My current set up is using muc off sealant, which is fine for most knicks, but I have found it wanting with bigger cuts and have had to use a tube to get me home and then repair the tyre with a combo of plugs, patches, boots and super glue depending on the puncture/my patience.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Out of interest has anybody had experience of a plug and mudguards with tight clearance between the metal plates on the inner surface of the mudguard that carries the front fork bracket and the tyre surface. I wonder if this would catch the protruding plug and pull it out as the wheel rotates.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another thing. Either carry a mini folding pair of pliers or make sure you don't overtighten the lock nut on the valve. I've read of someone who was unable to remove the valve to put a tube in because of that.
Out of interest has anybody had experience of a plug and mudguards with tight clearance between the metal plates on the inner surface of the mudguard that carries the front fork bracket and the tyre surface. I wonder if this would catch the protruding plug and pull it out as the wheel rotates.
I use mudguards that are fairly close. I've only ever used a plug once. From memory it rubbed a bit, then after a while stopped rubbing (presumably as it got flattened down against the road)

Top Bottom