Wheel repair options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

I have a set of 650b wheels, they need truning as they have developed a good wobble, trying to work out what would be more cost effective, either just buying a new set, but the wheels are 25mm internal taking a 47c tyre, so not very many options, getting a local shop to do the job or buying a truing wheel and do the job myself, they are a for a commuter, any advice greatly received.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cost effective you say. Are you feeling handy? No need for a truing stand, you can true em in the frame. Loads of videos on YouTube.
All you'll need us a spoke key and a cable tie.

Big John

Guru
Truing a wheel isn't a dark art. If the choice is new wheel or true the old one it's true the wheel every time. Look at a few YouTube videos. Admittedly there was a time I thought truing a wheel was a mysterious art that could only be done by someone who had spent years in a Tibetan monastery under the watchful eye of a Zen Buddhist. However, a one day wheel building course changed my perspective of the world. Patience, time and a decent spoke key should be enough to get you a half decent 'true' wheel. Or pay your LBS....it's up to you but even that'll be cheaper than a new wheel.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Cheers guys, saw the cheapest truing stand at £65, I rang 1 bike shop they wouldn’t even give me a ball park without seeing the wheels so I’m guessing somewhere around £100 and I couldn’t even find a set of wheels to buy with a quick google…YouTube here I come.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like truing wheels and have a cheap stand. As others have said it's not difficult to do, but the first wheel I built from scratch took days to get right. :laugh:

Minor wobbles are easily sorted out without a stand.

The only thing I can add is to advise you to get a spoke key that fits comfortably in your hand and doesn't have about 6 sizes on one small disc. That makes the job much more straightforward.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I’ll call in a bike shop and ask but generally you have to leave your bike for a few days, if it’s a DIY job I’ll give it a go myself…the Spokey spoke key gets good reviews, seems better thought of than the Park tools one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £15-20 to an LBS to have a wheel trued and that’s SW London prices!

Big John

Guru
We charge about £15 at our place for a wheel true. That's assuming that's ALL it is. Usually someone phones us up, tells us they have a wheel needs truing and when they turn up it has half a dozen broken spokes and the whee looks like a Pringle. Effectively it's a virtual rebuild and they get charged accordingly. If you have a wobble 'side-to-side' and no broken spokes then it really isn't difficult to do and, like folks have said, no truing stand required. If you have a 'hop' or 'up and down' movement then that's harder to sort and will require a bit of know how and a stand does help in those circumstances. Even so, your LBS shouldn't charge much. I defo wouldn't waste money on a stand unless you plan on building wheels.

Top Bottom