Mobile Upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I keep getting phone calls to upgrade my phone. I'm not overly bothered, but then thought I could get a new contract for about £20 p/m and a "free" X box Elite. Then sell both on ebay. I'm a staunch PS3 supporter you see. Any one done this? I currently pay £35 p/m and don't use anywhere near half of the texts or minutes so anything cheaper p/m would be good. Since I already like my existing phone (Samsung Pixon), then anything else is surplus to requirements.

Jezston

Über Member
Who are you with?

If you are still within a contract period, I would say don't do it. You'll get a better deal when your contract is up and you threaten to switch networks.

If your contract ended some months ago, but you are still paying full price contract then you are a DAMNED FOOL - technically, you are still paying back a loan (of sorts) that you have already paid off! Phone up and say you want your PUK code as you want to switch providers and see what they can then offer you.

Don't bother with the "free" xbox offers. They aren't "free", you'll be paying for it back over the next 18-24 months. And you probably won't want to sell it!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Mrs Landslide got a phone upgrade (staying on roughly the same call plan) but didn't get on with it as well as her old one so she flogged it on eBay. Got over £100 for it IIRC.

No reason you couldn't carry on with your Samsung unless you're looking at changing networks, in which case it might need unlocking.

Jezston

Über Member
Landslide said:
Mrs Landslide got a phone upgrade (staying on roughly the same call plan) but didn't get on with it as well as her old one so she flogged it on eBay. Got over £100 for it IIRC.

Bear in mind that might not sounds like bargain it may seem.

Example - buy a new phone on a £35 a month contract, over 18 months = £630

After that 18 months, get a new phone and stay on existing contract and sell new phone for £100 = £530

Stick with current phone, switch to 'sim only'-type contract with the same minutes, texts etc for £20 a month over 18 months = £360. That phone you got £100 for cost you £270!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Oh yeah, it's the shopping around that saves you money, but if Plax can reduce her bills and get a phone and an X-Box (both of which she can flog on), it strikes me she's doing pretty well out of the deal!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well if you end up with a slim S and you want to get rid of it because you're prejudiced like that Plax, there are probably some interested people xx(.

Whhy do they offer an X-Box as a free gift?

Is it because they are making so much profit from the contract they can do this?

Im very suspicious when they offer "free gifts".

People just ignore me when im wheeling my bike over Waterloo concourse so why suddenly would they want to give me free gifts?

Debian

Why have a contract in the first place?

There are some really good PAYG deals at the moment, e.g. O2 offer 300 texts and unlimited internet for £10 a month. Pay £15 a month and you have unlimited texts as well. This is on top of your top up amount.

I currently pay £35 a month and also use nowhere near my allowance so I'll be switching to PAYG on expiry. I can buy a new Desire or similar for £380 + £10 a month over 18 months = £540. My current contract over 18 months = £630 so I save £90 + I have the ability to change carriers whenever I want.

sarahpink

be careful with people who just call you up giving a new phone. I used to work for orange and we use dto get people come back all the time saying they were given this new deal and phone and were tied into all sorts of stupid contracts and the phone was usual no good often refurbished phones and some were even put into 3 year contracts. so just be weary as they will be third party companies not actual networks. best think is when your contract is up, shop around for some deals and then contact your current network see what they can offer and if they can match it at all, most times they will and give you more:smile:

Jezston

Über Member
Debian said:
Why have a contract in the first place?

There are some really good PAYG deals at the moment, e.g. O2 offer 300 texts and unlimited internet for £10 a month. Pay £15 a month and you have unlimited texts as well. This is on top of your top up amount.

I currently pay £35 a month and also use nowhere near my allowance so I'll be switching to PAYG on expiry. I can buy a new Desire or similar for £380 + £10 a month over 18 months = £540. My current contract over 18 months = £630 so I save £90 + I have the ability to change carriers whenever I want.

That does sound pretty good!

Having said that, I'm on a sim only - £20 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts, 'unlimited' internet, and O2 just sold me a new Desire, no contract, for £285 :biggrin:

£20 a month x 18 + £285 = ... erm ... £645 ok you win! But I get more call time!

Jezston

Über Member
<smug smilie>
I've got a Desire on unlimited everything for £15/month.
</smug smilie>

It helps to be a part of Virgin's Tribe though.

Yeah but then you have to deal with T-Mobile's rubbish coverage! :biggrin:

(actually, is it still rubbish?)

Debian

Jezston said:
Yeah but then you have to deal with T-Mobile's rubbish coverage! :biggrin:

(actually, is it still rubbish?)

I'm on T-Mob, superb coverage. At my two work locations, as well as home, O2 has zero coverage, Orange is iffy and T-Mob gives 4 / 5 bars consistently. I've been with them for three years now and they're good.

Debian

Jezston said:
That does sound pretty good!

Having said that, I'm on a sim only - £20 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts, 'unlimited' internet, and O2 just sold me a new Desire, no contract, for £285 :biggrin:

£20 a month x 18 + £285 = ... erm ... £645 ok you win! But I get more call time!

That's the thing for me - I rarely use the phone to make calls, mainly text and data + incoming calls. I probably use 30 minutes a month outgoing calls if that.

rh100

sarahpink said:
be careful with people who just call you up giving a new phone. I used to work for orange and we use dto get people come back all the time saying they were given this new deal and phone and were tied into all sorts of stupid contracts and the phone was usual no good often refurbished phones and some were even put into 3 year contracts. so just be weary as they will be third party companies not actual networks. best think is when your contract is up, shop around for some deals and then contact your current network see what they can offer and if they can match it at all, most times they will and give you more:smile:

Voda gave me an upgrade mid term, although it meant having a new number, which didn't bother me, they reduced the cost of the original to a small amount and discounted the new one so I was still paying the same monthly fee, but with a new Android phone.

I just need to remember to cancel the old number when it's contract is up.

I suspect I could have done it cheaper somehow, but I didn't have the cash to pay £300 odd for a handset, so it worked out ok for me. I get loads of minutes and texts and unlimited internet, so it's unlikely to cost more than the monthly amount.

Jezston

Über Member
Debian said:
That's the thing for me - I rarely use the phone to make calls, mainly text and data + incoming calls. I probably use 30 minutes a month outgoing calls if that.

£15 a month O2 sim-only contract = 100 mins, unlimited texts and internet x 18 months = £270 + £285 Desire = £555. Win!

Top Bottom