Mobiles Phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neddy

I'm new to this, so apologies for starting a new thread, but I couldn't find anything similar when I searched...

Anyway, I've noticed a new phenomenon just lately that seems to be getting more common. The message about not using your mobile whilst driving seems to be getting through to some drivers at least. Unfortunately, the solution seems to be to pull up immediately. It doesn't matter if you're on double yellows, zigzags, in the cycle lane, on an urban clearway or even just a road busy with rush hour traffic. You can even mount the pavement and scatter a few pedestrians if you want. So long as you stop, you'll be alright.
It might be pedantic, but I thought that while ever the engine is running, you're still officially driving. And there's the small matter of consideration for other road users.

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this one?

OP
OP
Neddy

Neddy

Mobile Phones

Spotted my first typo. Not a good start.

domd1979

Veteran
Certainly for PCVs its an offence to use hand held mobile with the engine running regardless of if stationary and handbrake on.

User3143 said:
No, as long as the handbrake is applied and the car is in neutral, you are stationary and therefore not driving.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well I disagree the message is getting through, I think it's pretty much as bad as ever, but that's another discussion.

I disagree that pulling up is essentially the worst thing to do. It is quite common to see someone carry on driving with their mobile looking for a space to pull up and carry on and on and on (usually paying no attention and driving at erratic speeds). I'd rather they didn't at all but there are much worse things than pulling up immediately.

The one that gets my goat is people putting on their hazard warnings and parking in a dangerous position pretending they've broken down. It's a devious little trick that'll get someone injured or killed one day.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
hackbike 666 said:
It's still a common thing because people are stupid and generally couldn't give a toss about others.

And there endeth the lesson.....:rolleyes:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm bloody glad when I see a driver pulled over to use their mobile. Even a bad and inconvenient stopping place is far better than carrying on driving still using the phone.

PBancroft

I think its quite true that a lot of folk appear to not pay any attention to where they're stopping, and think its OK to stop anywhere to take a call, just as long as they stop.

So much so I've got into a nasty habit of calling double-yellows "phonelines" because that's what most people seem to think they're for - somewhere to stop and make a call.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...y+old+stock&start=20&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N

...Just found this.I can't stand mobile phones and this is going to give me less incentive to travel on the tube if some comedian is bawling down their phone as usual.

Its good to have - mostly for the emergency services as the lack of phone support really hampering during 7/7.

Thanks Einstein but as I seemed to remember at the time didn't the phone lines jam up?

Im not sure if it's just me but sometimes I think these devices make people think they are important though it seems attention seeking to me.

Will1985

Über Member
It seems at the moment that Birmingham WVM and truck drivers are exempt from the phoning whist driving ban. This morning an aggregate lorry driver nearly went through a red pelican crossing with a phone attached to his ear....outside a school with kids waiting to cross.

I just thought I was a grumpy old fart who disliked mobile phones.I just hope we can't use them on planes im planning to go to Australia in future.

Oh the vote was 56% for and 44% against so im not the only one who wants a resting place from the buggers.

Why don't drivers just switch the mobiles off and pick up messages when they finish their journey ?

btw I'm a driver but my mobile is switched off in the car unless SWMBO is with me.

Top Bottom