Mobiles Phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I normally see drivers with a mobile phone in their paw like it's some sort of penis extension.

Oh yeah that granite faced bitch the other day I was aware she was using her mobile while driving when she was behind me so I rode up the pavement and stopped to let her pass.No peds were harmed or present in making this manoeuvre.So she proceeded straight ahead without apparently "seeing" me.I still caught her up at the temporary lights in Leyton High Road and she wasn't using the phone then.So what happens when one of these comedians has an accident.What happens then?

I suppose they will find some excuse to say it wasn't their fault.

Domestique

Über Member
Most drivers arent stupid, if you are on a phone and involved in an accident all the evidence the police need is there on the phone.
For sure there will always be dumb ass's, but then thats a fact of life.

I remember the first case that I heard of someone getting busted for using a mobile phone in the Midlands, I felt sorry for the guy as he seemed to have done everything right pulled over into a lay bye, switched the engine off but hadn’t taken the keys from the ignition!

In my view mobile phones seem to have become yet another addiction! An instant on the spot drive ban would help as would my local police not driving round with a phone welded to their ears!

Cab

The sound of a phone is rather like a police siren or a flashing blue light; some motorists are okay with it, they look around them, assess the situation, and make a rational decision. Some of them, and its a sizeable minority, hear a phone or a siren, and a little pixie comes along with a pair of cutters and starts snipping wires in their brain. So the motorist becomes a moton; it will now either answer the phone, swerve wildly through the cycle lane on the pavement to get out of the way of an ambulance that is still three quarters of a mile behind them, apply the hand brake mid lane to talk to their hairdresser and rearrange an appointment time, etc.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
There seems to be trends and fashions when it comes to using a phone while driving.

Texting/dialling with phone in lap.
Obviously shouting, speakerphone on phone held in hand on steering wheel.

And one I've seen a lot more recently, holding phone up to face and talking.
In this instance I can only imagine the driver believes that as long as they are looking in the direction they are talking the law doesn't apply?

J4CKO

I stopped at the local newsagents last nigth and a fella was stood outside talkign on his mobile, I went in the shop, got my stuff, came out and he was getting in his car, a Beetle Cabriolet (mwhahahah) still on the phone, he then proceeded to drive off, make a turn at the junction whilst still on it, he is a Penis in my eyes, mainly due to the phone, but a Beetle cabriolet ?

I will use mine in the car, if I am stuck - not moving - with no immediate prospect of moving, i.e. a Jam, to let someone know I am late and thats it.

I really hate watching people on their phones when driving, its so "F*ck you"

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3143 said:
No it's not. If this is the case then why do the Police encourage you to pull over to answer your phone?

I understood that if the engine is running, you are 'driving'. Is police advice perhaps to pull over, and turn off the engine?

TBH, I think having the engine running should be allowable, but only if in neutral etc, and if the car is parked up lawfully and safely. But random stopping is stupid. It ought not to be beyond a human policeman to make the distinction, but I suspect the problem would be the inflexibility and potential for loop holes in the law.

OP
OP
Neddy

Neddy

Sometimes it's funny to see them: There's a guy round here rides a motorbike dressed like a policeman (black leathers, hi-viz jacket, white helmet on a white bike with a reflective stripe around his back-boxes). The other day we were pulled up alongside each other at some lights when WVM came round the corner obviously on his phone. When he glimpsed the motorcyclist, he quickly ditched the phone in his lap.

Sometimes it's not: Waiting at some other red lights a large lorry was coming from my left and turning right. It's a tight junction and he really seemed to be struggling to make it round the corner. Then I noticed it's because he was cranking the wheel round with one hand with his phone in the other. A few yards further down the road, another driver from the same firm was also on his phone. I couldn't help thinking that they were talking to each other...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Neddy said:
Sometimes it's not: Waiting at some other red lights a large lorry was coming from my left and turning right. It's a tight junction and he really seemed to be struggling to make it round the corner. Then I noticed it's because he was cranking the wheel round with one hand with his phone in the other. A few yards further down the road, another driver from the same firm was also on his phone. I couldn't help thinking that they were talking to each other...

Arrrrgh!!! This stuff makes me so cross! I hope you took details and reported them to their company? Prime candidates for a mobile phone photo/video.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The usual technique round these parts is to hold the phone to your left ear using your right hand. This makes your action invisible, apparently.

JamesAC

John Ponting said:
Why don't drivers just switch the mobiles off and pick up messages when they finish their journey ?

btw I'm a driver but my mobile is switched off in the car unless SWMBO is with me.
+1

Enter car.
Turn off mobile phone
Start engine.

Top Bottom