Modern technology - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Went to use the car; a Hyundai 1.30 on Saturday. wouldn't start, flat battery. The nice AA manny who sorted it told me it was because I don't use the car frequently enough, thus causing all those wee electronic thingys that 'run in the background' to drain the dag. As the GLW and I only use the car when distance / load carrying / weather preclude the practical use of our bikes, I'd last driven the car just over two weeks previously.
Thus, because of the title issue, I'm / we're forced to use the car at least once a week to simply to keep the battery topped up. :angry:
Huh - ! :wacko:

Get a jump start power pack.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thus, because of the title issue, I'm / we're forced to use the car at least once a week to simply to keep the battery topped up. :angry:

Disconnect the battery terminals and reconnect day before you want to use. Get a volt meter to check voltage of battery periodically. You don’t want it to drop much below 12V or car won’t start.

My car use frequency is similar to you and been there / done that.

Last edited:
Disconnect the battery terminals and reconnect day before you want to use. Get a volt meter to check voltage of battery periodically. You don’t want it to drop much below 12V or car won’t start.

My car use frequency is similar to you and been there / done that.

Does that not confuse the car? On mine if the battery is disconnected I need to type the unlock code into the radio after I reconnect it.

The far better, safer and I’d suggest easier option is to use a trickle charger / solar powered unit to top the battery up and cancel out any parasitic drains; than to disconnect the battery……

Yeah I've had to buy a code on ebay twice as I kept forgetting to write it down. 🙃

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Went to use the car; a Hyundai 1.30 on Saturday. wouldn't start, flat battery. The nice AA manny who sorted it told me it was because I don't use the car frequently enough, thus causing all those wee electronic thingys that 'run in the background' to drain the dag. As the GLW and I only use the car when distance / load carrying / weather preclude the practical use of our bikes, I'd last driven the car just over two weeks previously.
Huh - ! :wacko:

Same here - I can go weeks without using the car so I purchased a basic soloar powered trickle charger that plugs in to the OBD port. It seems to work most of the time, but I do back it up with a 20-40 mile run up the A14 once a fortnight if it's been really cold.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Does that not confuse the car? On mine if the battery is disconnected I need to type the unlock code into the radio after I reconnect it.

A minor thing compared to taking it for a run (just to charge battery) or plugging in trickle charger. Just make sure you have any codes written down if you have to. Computers get turned off, or have power interruption all the time. They are designed to cope with it without issue. Some things are just anti theft measures rather than them getting confused.

A minor thing compared to taking it for a run (just to charge battery) or plugging in trickle charger. Just make sure you have any codes written down if you have to. Computers get turned off, or have power interruption all the time. They are designed to cope with it without issue. Some things are just anti theft measures rather than them getting confused.

Oh definately. My PC (sits under the TV as media box) has no internal battery, ran out years ago and I'm too lazy to replace it. Whenever it's without power for 24ish hours it forget the time until i turn it back on and takes a few minutes to talk to the internet and get itself right.

Top Bottom