Modernise a Raleigh Royal with brifters for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looks very nice (and a cracking example!) - I guess as close to "period correct" as you're going to get with that format of shifter. Do they play OK with the existing number of speeds on the back end? I assume you just can't use all the indexed positions on the levers as you hit the limit screw on the RD..?

Jameshow

Veteran
Hi all, just thought I'd add an update. I tried the bar-ends and they were really nice and smooth, but I ended up with some forearm pain where I was putting too much pressure on my left hand when changing - probably something I could have got used to, but I decided to go for Plan B.

So I bought some Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed shifters (old style) and they've worked a treat. I'd already changed to a quill adaptor/A-head stem, as the angle of the bars is now the same as my other bikes, and doesn't look too funky.

Thanks again to @Paul_in_France for the advice regarding 'shimergo'. A nice, simple and clean mod.

They look really nice!
Nicer than Shimano still of the same
generation!
Suits the frame tbh.

OP
OP
M

MyNameIsEarl

Looks very nice (and a cracking example!) - I guess as close to "period correct" as you're going to get with that format of shifter. Do they play OK with the existing number of speeds on the back end? I assume you just can't use all the indexed positions on the levers as you hit the limit screw on the RD..?

Cheers! The limit screws stop any over shifting, and as there's only 6 speeds at the back, even my feeble brain has an idea of what gear I'm in :smile: The pull ratio on the shifters is the same as if I had the DT shifters indexed, so no adjustment needed at all. The front is a bit more work as it uses micro-racheting to shift across the triple, but it's fine, just something to get used to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom