Modernise a Raleigh Royal with brifters for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MyNameIsEarl

Hi, I have a really nice old 6 speed Raleigh Royal tourer that I've had for about a year and was thinking about converting/modernising it to have brifters instead of downtube shifters. The frame is a large size and it's a bit of a stretch to reach down to the levers.

Is there an easy way of doing this? Would a 3x9 Sora groupset or 2x11 GRX sub-compact groupset (for instance) and a new wheel do?

I was also thinking of just putting bar end shifters on it instead (very cheap!), as that seems to be the done thing for old school tourers, but I'd still have to take a hand off the bars to change gears, and the bar ends are still pretty low.

What do you think?

Attachments

• PXL_20230728_125354211.jpg
    PXL_20230728_125354211.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 34

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just go with the bar end shifter idea. I have 2 1980's steel framed bikes, one has down tube shifters on has Suntour "barcons" which are infinity preferable to use.

you dont need to take hand of the bars, you just use the heel of your palm. you soon get used to it. obviously you have to be holding the drop part of the bar!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leave it be if there is a decent gear range. I certainly prefer shifting on my two SIS 8 speed road bikes than the STI/brifter bike.

If that's your bike, size looks fine where the saddle height it - seat is too pitched forward. It's already got a short/high stem so really not sure brifters will help you much.

It will look horrible with GRX. Is there anything worn out ? You'll likely need the rear frame width changing as it's likely made for a 126mm axel being 6 speed. Most 7-12 speeds are 130mm.

OP
OP
M

MyNameIsEarl

Leave it be if there is a decent gear range
Yeah, I'm happy with the gearing. I did my first tour in Northern France last year and it was fine.
seat is too pitched forward
It looks bad in the photo and I've changed it so the nose isn't tilting up so much
Is there anything worn out ?
Nope, I get what you mean about putting a modern black groupset on, unless I could get an old 3x9 silver groupset instead maybe
You'll likely need the rear frame width changing as it's likely made for a 126mm axel being 6 speed
Hmm...I'd forgotten that! It all sounds a lot of hassle for not a lot of advantage

I think I'll just go the bar end/'barcon' route - there must be a reason why it's popular with seasoned tourists!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's the rear dropout spacing? I'm terrible at remembering numbers but if you have an old freewheel based rear wheel it'll be too narrow for wheels with freehubs. (As @fossyant pointed out above). Now, I have done that. I used to "spring" an 8 speed wheel into my old Dawes frame, which was hard work, and eventually I "cold set" (= bent) the frame to make room. I can't use all of the sprockets of the 8 speed, the little one is out of bounds because of the geometry. It is a bit of a faff.

Go for the bar-ends if you don't like DT shifters would be my suggestion.

(Edit ... Oh and what size wheel is it? You may end up with brakes not reaching far enough if you put 622mm rims into it)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MyNameIsEarl

Hi @Dogtrousers, I just checked with some callipers, and although it's a 6 speed block/freewheel, the spacing is 128mm, so a modern wheel & cassette would go in without a problem.

Re wheel size, I think the model's a 1987/1988 one, so built with 700c wheels.

I'm gonna try bar-ends first, as it's the cheapest and easiest option, and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• Raleigh1988-6.jpg
    Raleigh1988-6.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 12

Gillstay

Über Member
For years I had a similar BSA and just put thumb changers off flat bars on the top of the bars. Then sneaked in 7 speeds with a good granny gear. Was excellent.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Worth talking to Spa - they will do you a 46/30 in silver which would look good on your lovely bike.

Edit: and another for bar end shifters. I love them.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bar end shifters all day long for me @MyNameIsEarl .
If it's Brifters you really need them I presume you are thinking about a set of flat bars or do you mean sti units ?
The other thing I would look at is a set of butterfly bars with a set of Brifters or even some trigger shifters ?
You should be able to get an 8 speed screw on block to fit the rear wheel but it might need to have the hub alignment and dishing re done on the existing wheel.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi @Dogtrousers, I just checked with some callipers, and although it's a 6 speed block/freewheel, the spacing is 128mm, so a modern wheel & cassette would go in without a problem.

Re wheel size, I think the model's a 1987/1988 one, so built with 700c wheels.

I'm gonna try bar-ends first, as it's the cheapest and easiest option, and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice!

something like these are great, friction but with a ratchet mechanism so easier to move i small increments for good self indexing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28563422...b3ignme0JINaeH4qQBOA/TK5M=|tkp:Bk9SR5DPmu6rYw

OP
OP
M

MyNameIsEarl

If it's Brifters you really need them I presume you are thinking about a set of flat bars or do you mean sti units ?
The other thing I would look at is a set of butterfly bars with a set of Brifters or even some trigger shifters ?
You should be able to get an 8 speed screw on block to fit the rear wheel but it might need to have the hub alignment and dishing re done on the existing wheel.
I was thinking of keeping the drop bars and using STI units, as it's what I'm used to on other bikes.
Thanks for your other suggestions! - there's quite a few options out there, I'm think I'm going to just start simply with the bar-ends and see how it goes.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That does look very nice :smile:

As others have said axle spacing is insufficient for modern groupsets, while IMO the colour scheme would ruin the aesthetic. Bar-end shifters would retain the aesthetic, be approximately period correct and mean you could keep the rest of the drivetrain.

I love STIs but bar end shifters are nice too and perfectly acceptable on something for the sort of casual, sustained wafting you'd expect on a tourer :smile:

Top Bottom