Modernising a Colnago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Specialeyes
@Specialeyes where do i start , yes it will cold set easily enough or you could send it to a frame builder to re do the back end as per new build ie 130 mm
Once modded it wont't be L eroica ready but would convert back
will you enjoy it as much ?
it's something i have thought about doing to my Ian May a few times but have not done it after 5+ years of ownership

That's it exactly! I go through the thought process every so often, and each time get a little closer to taking the plunge then agonise some more. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous really - I spent an absolute age the other day contemplating and comparing bottle cages and bottles, trying to decide whether one was too bulky-looking in relation to the frame. (Not on this bike, I hasten to add).

I really should get out more...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's it exactly! I go through the thought process every so often, and each time get a little closer to taking the plunge then agonise some more. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous really - I spent an absolute age the other day contemplating and comparing bottle cages and bottles, trying to decide whether one was too bulky-looking in relation to the frame. (Not on this bike, I hasten to add).

I really should get out more...

I would try it out on a lesser frame first and see how you feel

carpenter

Über Member
I would give "brifters" a go if you are not bothered about keeping the bike in Eroica condition.

I appreciate that some hate them but from my experience they have enhanced the feel of my Raleigh competition. I think they look right on this bike and make the ride even more enjoyable .
Funnily enough, I tried them on my MBK Mirage first and they neither looked nor felt right.

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would give "brifters" a go if you are not bothered about keeping the bike in Eroica condition.

I appreciate that some hate them but from my experience they have enhanced the feel of my Raleigh competition. I think they look right on this bike and make the ride even more enjoyable .
Funnily enough, I tried them on my MBK Mirage first and they neither looked nor felt right.

View attachment 425459 View attachment 425459

Your bars are too tilted up.

OP
OP
Specialeyes

So, I went for it - please forgive me!

A new pair of Campagnolo Potenza shifters, with a cold-set rear triangle and the 11-speed Mavic Aksiums that were previously on the bike that's now on the turbo. Rear mech is a Veloce I had knocking around in the garage.

Front mech and cranks remain unchanged so the visual change is pretty minimal and, of course, reversible if I have a change of heart.

I find the Campagnolo hoods are so much more comfortable than Ultegra/105 - they're more carved and less blocky than the Shimanos. Love 'em!

Thanks for the input and advice. The cold setting video was really handy.

I ended up using a length of M10 threaded bar, but with the addition of nuts and washers outside the dropouts too (felt like it would help keep the dropouts straight despite the more splayed angle). I also put g-clamps with padding just south of the brake bridge and chainstay bridge to take the strain off those joints. Have to say, the last 10mm of stretch (158mm to spring back to 130) was a bit nerve-wracking:whistle:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That looks lovely. Hope it runs just as well!

OP
OP
Specialeyes
Thanks! I just did a quick 10-minute spin around the block to check nothing was loose or silly and so far, so good. I'm half-thinking I might need to invest in a Potenza rear mech (silver, of course) to match the shifters' pull ratio, but a longer ride tomorrow will confirm. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fantastic job.

I have to say that IMO any bike, no matter what it's age, looks much better with brifters than with D/T levers. Apart from the convenience the fatter hoods suit bikes more, as well as being more comfortable to use.

Although I can see a few traditionalists choking on their flapjacks at the thought of it :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did something similar when I built my 653 frame up (it wasn't a complete bike when I got it though)

10 speed mainly Centaur set up,

DSCN0055.JPG

Fitting modern brakes is easy though, just use 2 front calipers. The back of the fork is easy to drill to 8mm but the rear bridge is more difficult but by using a front caliper on the back you'll find the fixing bolt is long enough to get a normal nut on (not done on this frame though, it was built to take sleeve nuts but I've done it to other bikes I had)

Top Bottom