Moon Meteor Storm/Vortex Pro owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Are there any of you around and can you use traditional 18650 batteries instead of their proprietary batteries?

So close to buying one of the lights but the real killer is that I cant source spares from within the UK. Nothing on Amazon or other UK based retailers. I only found one seller on ebay but they were from Australia and shipping would cost me $31 (im assuming AUS) just for one which is hardly worth it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
According to this listing... the Vortex uses a Panasonic 18650 battery, if that helps.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
According to this listing... the Vortex uses a Panasonic 18650 battery, if that helps.

It doesn't but i think ive found my answer last night after much sleuthing around the Internet. They run their own proprietary 18650 batteries which have + and - at the top instead of the bottom.

Cant find the batteries on sale anywhere in the UK, they are out of stock on Moons website and the only place i found them was on ebay from some seller in Australia. Postage alone comes to $31AUS. Batteries from moon cost $140hkd which is about £13 before p&p which shouldn't be too much since it's coming from hong Kong.

I decided not to go for the light due to lack of longevity

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I got a response from Moon, and they told me to contact Raleigh who are their UK distributor. Im not overly positive that i'll get anywhere because Ive searched raleigh's website and they dont have anything at all from Moon listed.

Why would you make great lights then blight it with a proprietary portable power source and make that power source nigh on impossible to source?

Just looked at my Storm, you are right, the plus and minus are both at one end. They are standard 18650 batteries but have been modified on the insulation. On a standard 18650 the outside of the battery is negative, it goes all the way to the positive end, the insulation at that end has been modified so both positive and negative are exposed alongside each other

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If Raleigh are unable to source me some spare batteries then I might as well cough up for an exposure with an 'all night' battery capacity.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Small update.

I did a 'better' search for the batteries rather then just inputting their part numbers and was a lot more successful. It seems there are more retailers that stock them then previously thought though at £20 or £21 for a measly 2600mAh capacity rather than their maximum of 3300mAh. I managed to find them on JeJamesCycles for just under £15 though they would need to order them in from their supplier so theres a lead time of roughly a week and there is no guarantee that their supplier will even have stock. Fingers crossed

Top Bottom