Mopeds are the way forward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I have been in Thailand for the past month my main mode of getting around citys has been moped and it's amazing. Nobody wears helmets apart from a few in the big cities like Bangkok and I love that fact people are confident I never wear a helmet on a bicycle I know I won't crash and IF I did I have strong bone marrow in the brain I'm sure I would be alright.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I take it your op was a success then?

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Only time I'm likely to go under the knife is when the secret service kidnap me and scientists cut me open to try and find out why makes me just so much more awesome than everybody else.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mopeds are only ridden by people who are not fit enough to ride bikes. Blazed has just lost several points on the awesomeness scale... :ohmy:

wafflycat

Flying_Monkey said:
Mopeds are only ridden by people who are not fit enough to ride bikes. Blazed has just lost several points on the awesomeness scale... :smile:

Too damn right. My knees are long-term knackered and that's why I'm considering getting a scooter!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
blazed said:
I have been in Thailand for the past month my main mode of getting around citys has been [by] moped and it's amazing. Nobody wears helmets apart from a few in the big cities like Bangkok and I love that fact people are confident I never wear a helmet on a bicycle I know I won't crash and IF I did I have strong bone marrow in the brain I'm sure I would be alright.
I have been in Bangkok almost 9 years and have yet to see a 'moped'; the closest that I have come to seeing a moped was when I saw a Honda cyclomotor at a Harley Davidson dealer's. Are you referring to the 'Step Thru' scooters and the smaller motorcycles up to 125cc?
I love your sweeping statement "Nobody wears helmets apart from a few in the big cities..." What utter piffle! Most wear helmets on the main roads and as they turn off the main roads and into the sois (side streets) they take their helmets off. Motorcyclists and pillions can and do get fined for not wearing a helmet. To you and I, the fine is not a great amount - 100 Baht - but to a Thai on minimum wage, it is more than half a day's pay and don't think that it will only be 100 Baht to you. You are a 'farang' (foreigner) so expect to pay 400 or 500 Baht!
You say that you 'love that fact people are confident'; I take it that by 'people' you are referring to motorcyclist without helmets. There are a number of reasons why people do not wear helmets and I'll give you just four:-
1) It's too hot.
2) It messes up my hair.
3) I'm not going far.
4) I can't afford one.
New motorcycles do come supplied with helmets but they are of such inferior quality that you would be better off wearing the safety helmet that comes with a 'Bob the Builder' playset! Even the cheapest Arai helmet will add about 50% to the price of a cheap 'Step Thru'!
I have asked high ranking police officers why they don't stop more helmetless riders or those who have more than two people on a motorcycle, the answer - manpower & time!

thomas

the tank engine
mr_hippo said:
I have been in Bangkok almost 9 years and have yet to see a 'moped'; the closest that I have come to seeing a moped was when I saw a Honda cyclomotor at a Harley Davidson dealer's. Are you referring to the 'Step Thru' scooters and the smaller motorcycles up to 125cc?
I love your sweeping statement "Nobody wears helmets apart from a few in the big cities..." What utter piffle! Most wear helmets on the main roads and as they turn off the main roads and into the sois (side streets) they take their helmets off. Motorcyclists and pillions can and do get fined for not wearing a helmet. To you and I, the fine is not a great amount - 100 Baht - but to a Thai on minimum wage,

I was going to say, they're not bloody mo-peds. Mo-peds are 50cc or under, and sound like hair dryers. I've got a step thru scooter, and the difference in terms means a lot! (I'm not a chav) :blush:

When I was in BKK last year I didn't see that many people without helmets, don't know about the countryside though.

In Vietnam they'd obviously had a helmet law passed in the past few years, and surprisingly they nearly all seemed to wear one. The odd pillion or child (I believe babies are actually excluded from having to wear a helmet). Like in thailand, the fine is high for it (about $50/£25..or a Million Vietnam dong - a tank of petrol for a scooter is about 30,000 dong).

All the helmet that they (and us too) did wear were crap though. I think I once had a builder's hat on that didn't do up...I'm not sure how good it would have been lol.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flying_Monkey said:
Mopeds are only ridden by people who are not fit enough to ride bikes. Blazed has just lost several points on the awesomeness scale... :tongue:

Heh heh....

Should have ridden a road bike scalping them - up's the SCR scores. :smile:

Proto

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
What? Mopeds are ridden by some of the fittest people in the world in Thailand.

Not just Thailand, although in this pic I accept she's not actually riding. :biggrin:

img_4138.JPG

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
mr_hippo said:
I love your sweeping statement "Nobody wears helmets apart from a few in the big cities..." What utter piffle! Most wear helmets on the main roads and as they turn off the main roads and into the sois (side streets) they take their helmets off. Motorcyclists and pillions can and do get fined for not wearing a helmet. To you and I, the fine is not a great amount - 100 Baht - but to a Thai on minimum wage, it is more than half a day's pay and don't think that it will only be 100 Baht to you. You are a 'farang' (foreigner) so expect to pay 400 or 500 Baht!
You say that you 'love that fact people are confident'; I take it that by 'people' you are referring to motorcyclist without helmets. There are a number of reasons why people do not wear helmets and I'll give you just four:-
1) It's too hot.
2) It messes up my hair.
3) I'm not going far.
4) I can't afford one.
New motorcycles do come supplied with helmets but they are of such inferior quality that you would be better off wearing the safety helmet that comes with a 'Bob the Builder' playset! Even the cheapest Arai helmet will add about 50% to the price of a cheap 'Step Thru'!
I have asked high ranking police officers why they don't stop more helmetless riders or those who have more than two people on a motorcycle, the answer - manpower & time!

I call all bikes shaped that way a moped if that is not technically correct then sue me. Whatever the reason they dont wear helmets it doesnt really matter, the main point is that i am brave like a lion and would never wear a helmet and the fact most people dont suits me. I have been bangkok, pattaya, koh samui, chiang mai and ayuttaya so far and only in bangkok do people wear helmets. In samui literally nobody does and there are some pretty crazy roads on that island.

Top Bottom