More "aaaagh what wheels" questions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a BMC racemaster SLX01 which has Easton Circuit wheels on it. Great general purpose wheels. I use it as an all round road bike but do triathlons so erring towards the TT style of riding. I am doing another Olympic distance race soon and want to beat my PB so something faster would be good! However next year I am moving up to Ironman distance (Austria so hilly but not excessive) so comfort and all round ability is also important

It seems that the more aero I go the less weight I save....current wheels are 1700g allegedly and about £250 to £300 new. I do not want to spend a few hundred quid for zero benefit and equally buying a £400 pair, I might as well stick with the Eastons. Any idea what time benefit more aero wheels will give me on an undulating 40k course?

Things I am looking at are

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL £750
Dura Ace WH7850 £900
SRAM S60?

I have decided I want clinchers with aluminium braking surfaces. I am on the solid side (86kg and 5'10)

All tips ideas and comments welcome

Jay

gavintc

Guru
I too have looked at the deep section wheels. Many of the guys in my club ride them and reportedly, they are most beneficial when running at speed and not climbing. There is a weight penalty with that extra aerodynamic surface, but this works at speed (over 30kph?). I have Mavic SL clinchers and am pretty happy with them. The thinning braking surfaces will probably demand a replacement sometime next year and I have started asking and looking around at options. So like you, am pondering.

battered

Guru
I think the lack of replies is due to the fact that you propose spending more on wheels than many of us spend on a bike!

It's a pretty rareified atmosphere up there, there can't be many who have used £500 wheels, and even fewer who have tried more than one sort at that price/quality level. I think in the circumstances you'll find either style of wheel very good, each having advantages, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at that level, nor should you be.

Reluctant to contribute as I don't race and only have a rear Cosmic Carbone SSC Premium but would say that these wheels are bombproof re the roads and your weight - so no problems there.

Also have a pair of Zonda's and the Cosmics run a bit better on the flat and downhill but are slightly worse on steep uphills - presumably as they have shaved the weight off the hub leaving the majority of weight at the rim.

Personally for general riding I would keep the existing wheels.

If I was going to compete on a flattish A Road TT then I'd be happy with the Mavics otherwise I would look to some Zipp tubs.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I don't think you'll be disappointed at that level, nor should you be.
to be honest i am worried I will be disappointed! The more you psend, the higher your expectations, and if they are no met, it is a lot of cash wasted!

monkeypony

Whilst the Cosmics look very nice, they are not a true 'deep section' rim. Just a normal one with a bit of plastic added.

If you want a wheel for general road riding and long distances I can only recommend what ~I am currently using

DT Swiss 240s hubs
Mavic open pro ceramic rims
DT Swiss competition spokes

You should be able to get the parts purchased and the wheel hand built for somewhere near the top of your price range. You will end up with a wheel that is pretty light and stong as hell. Done just over 2000 miles on mine so far and despite banging over some pretty poor roads every day, they have needed so much as a spoke tweeked!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Whilst the Cosmics look very nice, they are not a true 'deep section' rim. Just a normal one with a bit of plastic added.

If you want a wheel for general road riding and long distances I can only recommend what ~I am currently using

DT Swiss 240s hubs
Mavic open pro ceramic rims
DT Swiss competition spokes

You should be able to get the parts purchased and the wheel hand built for somewhere near the top of your price range. You will end up with a wheel that is pretty light and stong as hell. Done just over 2000 miles on mine so far and despite banging over some pretty poor roads every day, they have needed so much as a spoke tweeked!

<thread hijack alert>
MP ...How loud is the freehub on the DT-240s? I've been speccing up a "fantasy" wheelset, and was thinking Chris King until I found on youtube they sound like air raid siren. My current wheels are OpenPro on 105 hubs and almost silent, but all the "top-end" hubs seem to have noise issues.

e-rider

crappy member
The noise is a sign of quality - shimano freehubs are nearly always very quiet.

monkeypony

<thread hijack alert>
MP ...How loud is the freehub on the DT-240s? I've been speccing up a "fantasy" wheelset, and was thinking Chris King until I found on youtube they sound like air raid siren. My current wheels are OpenPro on 105 hubs and almost silent, but all the "top-end" hubs seem to have noise issues.

The quick and easy answer is - Loud! Think football fans wooden rattle loud!

But when you're riding you don't notice it - pretty sure everyone else does though.

The shimano hubs only have a 2 pawl system whereas the DTs use a rising star so more noise is inevitable I'm afraid.

Edit: Of course, if you can hear the noise it means you're not pedalling - shame on you ;)

to be honest i am worried I will be disappointed! The more you psend, the higher your expectations, and if they are no met, it is a lot of cash wasted!

In that case forget the Carbones.

I quieten my Campag hubs with a little extra grease - the pawls do tend to stick with heavy grease so a bit of light lithium grease goes around them and then the heavier stuff elsewhere.

e-rider

crappy member
It all depends how much the money is worth to you - if I spent £800 on some wheels I'd almost certainly be disapointed because that's shoot loads of money to me (1 months pay if I had a job - I rarely see £20 notes these days). However, someone who earns that in 4 or 5 days (or less) will probably see the wheels as good value for money, and probably can't figure out why everyone isn't using them!

If you're already feeling nervous about spending that much then I'd say get some cheaper wheels or just use what you have.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
thanks for all the help. I found a RAAM article on another posting that was excellent. see here http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/wheels.html Basically I would save about 25 secs on a 40k tri ride (obviously this is a guesstimate) and that sounds like a pricey gamble! I think for now I will stick with my Eastons!! Many thanks for all the help. I have the cash but I should not be wasting it....

Jay

PpPete

Legendary Member
The quick and easy answer is - Loud! Think football fans wooden rattle loud!

But when you're riding you don't notice it - pretty sure everyone else does though.

The shimano hubs only have a 2 pawl system whereas the DTs use a rising star so more noise is inevitable I'm afraid.

Edit: Of course, if you can hear the noise it means you're not pedalling - shame on you ;)

<GRIN> s'why I train on a fixed - I get out of the habit of freewheeling.

Good link JayClock .... allthough I think his conclusions about rotational weight are questionable. Circular motion, even at constant RPM, involves acceleration. I think this means a heavier rim needs more power to keep it turning (at a constant speed) than a lighter one. OTH the flywheel effect suggests the heavier rim will keep spinning longer when the acceleration is turned off (freewheeling)

No doubt Jimbo will be along shortly to put us straight on that one.

Top Bottom