More cycling tales and incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Well, I've my new to me wheels for a good few day's now and I'm really pleased with them. The old budget wheels on my Specialized had been causing me a right headache with wheel grumbling bearings and free hub problems. Being short of patience i decided to buy a second hand set of Fulcrum Quattro wheels off a fellow cycling buddy and i haven't looked back since. Fitted to them where some nearly new Vittoria pro tyres. In the past I've only ever ridden 23mm or a mix of 23/25mm so swapping over to 28mm was new territory for me. They just about fitted into the frame but they do look good combined with the deep rimmed Fulcrum wheels.
What a transformation its made to the bike!!. The harsh Aluminium framed Specialized Allez now feels like my old School steel framed Peugeot except the specialized is still alot lighter. The bike seems to glide over the rough roads now without shaking your fillings out, as it once did. It doesn't just end there though. I've done about three 40 odd mile rides and i feel so much less fatigued by the smoother ride characteristics. No aching limbs or sore backside to mention. The experts say that wider tyres also have less rolling resistance. It seems a bit odd to make logic of this as a non technically minded guy like my self, but i have to agree with this. I've been smashing PR,s on strava ever since I've changed my wheels and tyre's,
Changing the subject slightly, today i had a very close pass by a driver.
As the driver disappeared off into the distance i was left behind shouting and waving my fist at them furiously. When i came around the next bend the car had stopped and the drivers door was being opened. I thought "oh no here comes the agro"
As it turned out this elderly lady got out looking very frail. As i stopped she politely asked for directions to a remote Welsh village some 20 miles away. With her map in hand i showed her the way.
I was angry at the close pass but there was no way i could vent off my displeasure towards somebody so elderly and frail but none the less i did have to say something.
I asked very politely without any drama if she could please give cyclists a little more space when overtaking as her close pass really scared me. She was so oppologetic to the point i had say "its ok, just bear it in mind in the future"
It was a breath of fresh air to be able to confront a driver without them being aggressive in all honesty. After saying goodbye i put my favourite cycling glasses on, only for the dam things to snap on in half!!! We both started laughing before i dissappear on my way.
Next month I'm planning a long cycling trip around Wales and I'm really looking forward to it now with the discovery of fatter tyres and a half decent wheel set. Im wanting to tour around North Wales with stop overs at my dad who lives right on the coast. It will be interesting to see how i fair doing this ride again on the specialized as opposed to my old 80s Peugeot i last did it on. I just hope we get some decent weather :=)))
All the best
Johnny

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Good outcome ! I had similar, you have to say something and hope they take more care next time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you want to improve those tyres even more, fit a set of latex inners. They'll be lighter, faster, even more supple and they'll roll along with a lovely ringing sound. The trade-off is that latex is fragile to handle and so supple that it will seek out small holes and herniate out with a rude squeak.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hi again.

What a transformation its made to the bike!!. The harsh Aluminium framed Specialized Allez now feels like my old School steel framed Peugeot except the specialized is still alot lighter.

Johnny
As the rest of your post has shown, the "Harshness" was down to the tyres and nothing to do with the aluminium frame. A lot of bollocks is talked about the ride qualities of different materials when it is all down to the strips of rubber sitting on the road. I've ridden steel, aluminium (Including forks) and carbon fibre and the only things that have effected comfort are frame geometry and rubber.

southcoast

Über Member
As the rest of your post has shown, the "Harshness" was down to the tyres and nothing to do with the aluminium frame. A lot of bollocks is talked about the ride qualities of different materials when it is all down to the strips of rubber sitting on the road. I've ridden steel, aluminium (Including forks) and carbon fibre and the only things that have effected comfort are frame geometry and rubber.

Unless you have a full suspension mountain bike.;)

Top Bottom