More cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Yeah i have noticed the number of cyclists go up over the last couple of months, RLJ's don't really annoy me as I do it as well. What annoys me though are people riding on the pavement, they'll learn the hard way though when they run into someone and get sued. Just have to look out for yourself when you are out on a bike sad but true.

A couple of years ago, I used to enjoy the commute seeing other cyclists and give them the nod.

Now I see people ride with their seat about six inches lower then it should be, no lights, no helmet riding on the pavement, but what can you do, I mean really??

As for people riding on roads they should not be? well again what can you do? I think it's a live and learn situation from the point of the cyclist. that's doing it.

So RLJing is OK but riding without a helmet isn't?

Don't get me started... really, don't get me started.

hackbike 6

So RLJing is OK but riding without a helmet isn't?

Don't get me started... really, don't get me started.

:evil:

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
answered your own question

Is the actual purpose of speeding to save a few minutes?

Is the actual purpose of overtaking a cyclist when there isn't really enough room to save a few minutes?

Actually the problem is that a lot of thee people are new because of increased petrol costs, bans and a number of reasons.

Many are simply riding in exactly the same way as they drive in their cars. If they are allowed to park on the pavement - then why can't they cycle on it?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
Yes and no, you need your helmet for when a car hits you after you have RLJed. LOL

Risk compensation at its best, esp. when helmets come with disclaimers about not being effective in collisions with motor vehicles. LOLOL!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Bans? I know there have been something like 60 000 new drivers banned over the last decade but I've never heard anyone say they'd turn to cycling. I'd imagine they'd probably prefer other less legal means.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Don't blame me - it's the manufacturers themselves that have a disclaimer about the lack of protection offered by cycle helmets when hitting motor vehicles.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
you are talking about completely seperate events that have different circumstances surrounding them.

No, I'm talking about an attitude that leads to various forms of illegal, antisocial or just plain stupid behaviour on the roads.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
RLJing isn't one of them, I would do a poll of how many people RLJ but I don't think people would be honest and say they do it.:biggrin:

You have a point about attitude but what about common sense? I'm not gonna RLJ if the junction is really busy only if it is ''safe'' to proceed.

95% of motorists polled admit to speeding. Being honest, I speed on motorways but not on other roads. I don't RLJ and that's being honest too.
I'd rather give motorists a bad name than cyclists.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
RLJing isn't one of them, I would do a poll of how many people RLJ but I don't think people would be honest and say they do it.:biggrin:

You have a point about attitude but what about common sense? I'm not gonna RLJ if the junction is really busy only if it is ''safe'' to proceed.

Yes it is.

It's illegal and antisocial.

hackbike 6

The thing that worries me about RLJing is motorists see it and realise they can get away with almost anything on the roads.On my 5am turns now I am witnessing more and more blatent RLJing by motorists.Today at Whitechapel I noticed a motorist texting while driving.Where is this going to lead if we keep going on like this.Blatently break the law and put other people at risk to save a few seconds or minutes.Society is really going down the toilet isn't it?
I find it very sad that when I hold open a door that someone almost faints because they are not used to good manners.It wasnt like this in the 80's.I can only forsee things getting worse before they get better.Posted via MP again.

Top Bottom