More discouragement of cycling in Australia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Recent figures in Denmark show that more accidents are caused by mobile phone users than drink drivers.
Perhaps there are more people using mobile phones whilst driving than there are drink drivers; ergo they are going to be involved in more accidents.
95% of statistics are misleading.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-in-sydney-the-nsw-government-must-be-pleased

A pretty sorry state of affairs, when even Cadel Evans says he finds cycling in NSW intimidating, and cycling numbers have dropped markedly following the anti-cyclist legislation. I've said before I wish I could leave Australia, but at least I'm not living in the state of NSW.

Amazing, almost as good as the police patrol that ran over a cyclist because they wouldn't stop. What is it about Australian police? Is it too much sun?
Must admit though, when we were over there, they seemed to have some very strange laws!

Drago

Legendary Member
They don't have PACE in Oz, so most people plead guilty in Court to avoid getting beaten up. I've known more than one UK bobby emigrate to join the police over there, only to come back because they couldn't get their heads round the casual and needless brutality.

simonsch

You should see the way they treat the Aborigines :cycle:

Guyanga-ndhi yawarra dhu

simonsch

There was movement at the station... actually, on Macquarie Street, where Mike Baird has resigned as Premier. This sets into motion all sorts of things likely to affect cyclists in NSW. Duncan Gay, Roads Minister, who is responsible for much of the abovesaid nonsense, is likely to be out. The new premier will almost certainly be Gladys Berejiklian, who is progressive and well respected. I understand she has been quite supportive of funding cycling infrastructure. I can't imagine that some of the stupider rules described in previous posts will be removed, but a lot of the problems have I think really been about how the police are prosecuting / interpreting them - the message being sent down from above matters a lot, and Duncan Gay was sending the message that cyclists should be pushed off the roads. So some grounds for optimism.

(I keep watch on this situation because I have several times considered moving back to Sydney - where I lived for while in the 1990s - but ruled it out largely because of the poor transport infrastructure, and more recently the attitude to cycling).

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4180464, member: 259"]I will not go there on holiday because of the idiotic helmet law. My daughter will be there next year for six months, and if it was anywhere else we would have gone, but we'll meet up in Thailand or Malaysia instead.[/QUOTE]

I feel bad about my cousin from Sydney visiting me every other year for our tours, but I am not flying all the way out there to have to wear a helmet.

Fortunately, I can take or leave helmets. But I wouldnt miss a riding experience just because I had to wear a helmet.

I would. The experience would be seriously impaired for me.

Last edited:

simonsch

You know, the helmets is the least of the issues here. Someone got fined $475 for riding "on the road, in jeans and heels".

Top Bottom