More for Forfar? 24 and 25 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

eck said:
It's a long time since I rode the sustrans route as described above, but it was certainly "a path" - unsurfaced, fine for a pootle with the kids, but I wouldn't fancy it on an audax.
And, personally, I'd ignore the instructions at 54 and 56K, suggesting a left and immediate right over the A9 and then a right turn back on to the A9 again. Far safer to stay on the A9 IMHO and go with the flow than take two dangerous right turns over the main road.
It's the difference between about 5k straight up the A9 or a dangerous R then L, 2k on the old main road, then another dangerous R back on to the A9. Even then, you've still got 3k to go up the A9 before you reach the turn to Dalguise.

Have to agree with you Eck, those 2 right turns seem to add unnecessary danger if you are going on the A9 anyway.

I'm hoping to fit in a recce of the NCN before the event. As far as i can make out, the NCN route comes out on the other side of the Tay just after the Dalguise turnoff. So you would need to cycle back over the bridge to the junction (on cycle path).

And i thought that an audax was not a race:smile: Much to learn....

Seamab

Just an update on the 150K yesterday.

Very nice route all said - pretty hilly after Pitlochry. The sun came out eventually around 2pm after a drizzly start.

I'm afraid Scoosh had a mechanical with his back wheel just after the start. The Forfar bike shop sorted him out but he was too late to start the route proper. He decided to do some of the route in reverse and meet up with some of the early birds at the final control but just before he got there a Spaniel pup ran under his wheel on a fast descent - guess who came off worst? When i passed the spot the dogs were corralled and barking happily. Scoosh is OK, but nursing a very sore elbow and shoulder and lots of scrapes.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Funnily enough, i had a sheepdog who leapt out of a quad bike not far from the same spot. It missed me by inches as it more or less flew over my front wheel when it spotted home on the other side of the road.

I hope todays rides go well and the weather stays good.

I did get in a group and cycled with them up the A9, which was quiet thankfully.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Seamab said:
I'm afraid Scoosh had a mechanical with his back wheel just after the start. The Forfar bike shop sorted him out but he was too late to start the route proper. He decided to do some of the route in reverse and meet up with some of the early birds at the final control but just before he got there a Spaniel pup ran under his wheel on a fast descent - guess who came off worst? When i passed the spot the dogs were corralled and barking happily. Scoosh is OK, but nursing a very sore elbow and shoulder and lots of scrapes.

:biggrin: :bicycle::ohmy::ohmy: :bicycle: Get well soon Scoosh:hugs:How unlucky is that ...
[Dare I ask, how's the bike? :ohmy:]

Apart from Scoosh's misfortune, it sounds like you had a good day out Seamab :bicycle:, but were very lucky not to suffer a similar fate :bicycle:

Seamab

These things happen so quickly that there is no time to react. I was lucky this time. I would never have anticipated a leaping sheepdog!

I understand that Scoosh's bike is generally OK - he was able to ride back to the start. The dog owners had offered to take him back in their van and supplied dressings and plasters.

I wasn't aware of any of this until the end. This is the first time i've cycled up Angus way and it was very enjoyable. I set off at a pretty (for me) rapid pace which i maintained until Kirkmichael (2/3rds of the way) - getting there just after the earliest time allowed. After that the batteries ran out and it was a slow slog up and over to Glen Isla and a welcome coffee stop at Peel Farm. Thankfully the run in to Forfar was mainly downhill or flat.

I was passed on the Forfar - Kirriemuir road by one of the very fast guys heading back home at a rapid pace. Amazing how fit some of these guys are:ohmy:

Noodley

I heard at the start of today's event that someone had hit a dog...didn't realise it was scoosh. Hope you recover soon.

ACS

Legendary Member
Having bonked just looking at the route profile for the 150km event I opted for the meander down to Scone (the flat way). A gentle but purposeful start on grey drizzly morning saw the group of about 12 or so riders head off into Perth and Kinross. Once clear of Forfar, the tandem pair (Maverick75 + Partner) set a brisk pace and a target to aim at. Bizarrely I found myself in a group of 4 off the front. We managed to catch the tandem pair shortly before the first control and followed them in. It was then I noticed that my computer had decided throw a strop. Arrived at the control as it opened; the main group sweeping in majestically some 10 minutes later.

After a cup of coffee and a chat, myself with another rider (sorry I didn’t get your name) along with the tandem pair head off into the improving weather. The drying road surface and light winds saw us passing through the next 2 controls as the sunshine was breaking through. Jackets and heavy gloves abandoned we made steady progress towards the next checkpoint in Ardler. Watching the tandem glide off into the distance while being held by traffic at a junction gave us an opportunity to practice our chasing skills, head down and we started to reel them in, with my fellow rider tucked in behind and off we went. Looked up just in time to see a set of red traffic lights on a bridge, no rider behind, no tandem in front and I begin to ask myself if I have done my usual trick and missed a turn.

Lights change and off I go, climbing over the hill I see a sign for Blairgowie. OK I’m off route, need to make a right turn and head down to Coupar Angus. About 3 miles later I see a right turn so I take a chance. Stop at T junction onto a main road. Left or right? Left and thank heavens there is a Postman. “Coupar Angus” I ask hopefully? “That way” he points in the direction I have just come from, “about 5 miles”, reinvigorated I set off my mood improving with the weather.

Hit Coupar Angus and join the Forfar Road, dare I assume I am back on route, glance down and my computer, its working, maybe my luck is changing. Now looking for a sign for Ardler. Pedal along and I am becoming progressive despondent no village sign, perhaps I should just write off the day head back to the start some 17 miles distant.
Some miles later I see a sign for the village 1 mile. Yes, back on route and no controls missed. Found the control and headed off with the smile on my face and the sun on my back. Arrive in the next village; the route sheet states I need to find a Hotel and it should be on my RHS. Stop at the T junction and looking behind me I see, to my delight, bikes, yes, bikes with saddle bags outside a hotel. Put my head around the bar door to hear those immortal words “the stamp is on the bar and the coffee is over there, help yourself.”

20 minutes later, suitably rehydrated, (it was a pub) a group of 4 riders head to back to the start point and the end of a cracking 101km ride (110 for me ;-)) My thanks to go to the organiser, Maverich75 and partner and to my nameless companions. Great day.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Seamab said:

Very nice route all said - pretty hilly after Pitlochry. The sun came out eventually around 2pm after a drizzly start.

Funnily enough, i had a sheepdog who leapt out of a quad bike not far from the same spot. It missed me by inches as it more or less flew over my front wheel when it spotted home on the other side of the road.

I hope todays rides go well and the weather stays good.

I did get in a group and cycled with them up the A9, which was quiet thankfully.

Aw poor puppy, hope Mrs Scoosh has doubled the life insurance sounds like she might need it, if he keeps this up... :laugh:

OP
OP
themightyw

themightyw

Ouch Scoosh, hope you're ok. Skived off the ride yesterday due to a pretty grim cold, but moseyed over to Forfar for the Glen Isla today. Wasn't going to push it today as was still pretty snotty, but had a thoroughly pleasant pedal through the Backwater Hills with Eck, Noodley and another fine gentleman.

A dry start, then the rain kicked in about 30km in and we had a horrific period of torrential, freezing cold rain. When we reached the first control - a cafe stop - I think we could have easily made a cup of coffee last an hour as we stared out at the icy shards falling from the heavens, but there were only a couple of tables and the arrival of a couple of batches of riders meant we were forced to face the elements.

I learnt today that sometimes rain can fall so hard that it hurts your eyeballs.

We took it pretty slowly, and I mainly propelled myself up hillls through the power of snot-rockets, but all in all it was a great wee gentle ride around Angus.

Humbled by the fact that 2 of the group I was riding with were heading off to do 300km.

Noodley

themightyw said:
...and another fine gentleman.

That was maverick75...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thanks all for your kind words and encouragements :biggrin:.

All in all, it was not a great day. Pitlochry 150 ? Hah - I did 300[m that is] before my rear wheel seized xx(. Seamab was a just too far ahead for me to hail him, so I shouldered the bike and back to the start. Advice was that there is a bike shop in town - probably opens at 0900, so I went and waited. 0930 opening :sad: - but, at that time, whom should I see walking to the shop then Eck and his good lady :biggrin:. The day was getting better. They even made me a cuppa while the mechanic and I found the cause of the mechanical. [note: always tighten a replaced freehub to the specified torque]

It was 1100 before I was finished and preparing to go, so Eck's words of wisdom were to do the route in reverse, head up Glenisla and meet the pack on the way.

I set off, it was warming up, very pleasant riding, till I came down a hill at about 40kph and a 4-month puppy waited until the last second before charging straight for my front wheel :sad:. I came off worse and my bike. Same right side hip and forearm/elbow were bashed and scraped (as had been done in Dec :smile:) but the lady of the house came out and kindly provided dressings, tape etc and made sure I was OK. I thought I was, so carried on delicately until I tried to reach down for my water bottle, when my right shoulder informed me that my injuries were more than superficial :sad:. Turned round, went back, packed up and went home.

Talking to Maverick75 and SB after their 100, I was recommended strongly advised to get the shoulder checked out by the Dr, so I have an appointment in 1hr time.

Bike seems OK, rear wheel is great :laugh:, shoulder ain't :cry:.

At least it's not a broken collarbone :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
scoosh said:
It was 1100 before I was finished and preparing to go, so Eck's words of wisdom were to do the route in reverse, head up Glenisla and meet the pack on the way.

Talking to Maverick75 and SB after their 100, I was recommended strongly advised to get the shoulder checked out by the Dr, so I have an appointment in 1hr time.

Bike seems OK, rear wheel is great :laugh:, shoulder ain't :sad:.

At least it's not a broken collarbone :smile:

:sad: So it's Eck's fault you were in the wrong place at the wrong time ...:wacko:

Glad to see you posting on CC, obviously still alive :biggrin:
Fingers crossed the doctor didn't find anything too bad, the ideal outcome would be if he'd just told you to carry on and "keep things mobile" :sad:.
Get well soon ...
:ohmy:

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Telemark said:
:becool: So it's Eck's fault you were in the wrong place at the wrong time ...:smile:
Errr .... actually NO - Eck said to stay on the B road, I went on the unclass, which was where the riders would be .... and the dug wuz :sad:
Glad to see you posting on CC, obviously still alive :biggrin:
Fingers crossed the doctor didn't find anything too bad, the ideal outcome would be if he'd just told you to carry on and "keep things mobile" ;).
Get well soon ...
:blush:

T
Not too far off it, actually :smile:.

Not too serious, just a jolt to the shoulder (?muscle). Anti-inflammatory pills and maybe worth injecting in 2-3 weeks ... ie just before the Etape :biggrin:

:hugs: appreciated !

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
scoosh said:
Not too far off it, actually :sad:.

Not too serious, just a jolt to the shoulder (?muscle). Anti-inflammatory pills and maybe worth injecting in 2-3 weeks ... ie just before the Etape :biggrin:

:blush: appreciated !

:becool: great news ...
Here's another hug for good measure :hugs:(being careful with your shoulder of course :smile:)

Out of curiosity - injecting what?

You'll need a gentle "test ride" on the 9th ;):biggrin:

T

Top Bottom