More fuel for the helmet debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

1896942 said:
Yes, really.

Witness the "I'm looking at you" comment

Enid Agnus Dei

Was given a cycle helmet not so long back, used it a few times but wasn't keen on it, when I ride in the countryside I use my team Raleigh Banana cap but need to use the helmet when riding in town I think as more risk of having a bump!

Wonder how long it will be before it becomes law we have to have one on?

I think you'll find that the main point that NotthatJasonKenny was making was aimed at Cunobelin's track record of trying to squash any discussion which does not fit in with his own view of the world,

Any way back on track.....

My own view of the world is simple, and if poor advice needs to be corrected and needs quashing then so be it.

In this case the perfectly reasonable suggestion was made that a second hand helmet was unwise and may have cracks, wear and tear, that it fits and is suitable for use. This suggestion is verified by a number of sources including the avidly pro helmet BHSI and RoSPA

Then a troll :troll: emerged from under a bridge claiming that this was unacceptable, discourteous and then threw their oys out of the pram with a series of insults, obscenities, claims that such advice was a disservice to cyclists and yet repeatedly refused to clarify why they think that the checks are unreasonable when in fact essential for ANY helmet.

Such rank stupidity and misinformation is dangerous and certainly needs to be quashed

If you have a problem with my world view that if you want to wear a helmet then it should fit, be suitable for use and in a good state of repair then please feel free to continue disputing the advice........

Was given a cycle helmet not so long back, used it a few times but wasn't keen on it, when I ride in the countryside I use my team Raleigh Banana cap but need to use the helmet when riding in town I think as more risk of having a bump!

Wonder how long it will be before it becomes law we have to have one on?

You have really started something now..... the use of melons is common place,

photo-apr-19-19-04-34-png.10201.png

But a banana based helmet is new!

76281979_3851b6923a.jpg

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
My point, since there seems to be some debate about it, was that it's dangerous to discuss helmet use on here since it is very much a personal choice and some people feel strongly that the evidence points one way whilst others believe otherwise.

Pity my attempt at light hearted 'lets move this along folks' was used in this argument because it is a simple fact that 2nd hand helmets are dangerous. As an ex motorbike rider you would never give someone a 2nd hand helmet as its the same as not wearing one, tests have shown bad helmets do as much damage in different ways to no helmet.

Anyway, let's all get these...http://gizmodo.com/5919688/the-lumahelm-is-a-bike-helmet-that-acts-like-turn-signals

The whole point is that the evidence is there on both sides and needs to be assessed by the individual so that an informed choice is made whichever way that choice goes.

Part of that is disputing and showing why certain viewpoints such as checking a second hand helmet being unacceptable are ludicrous and extremely unhelpful.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Unless there is evidence there for you to make an informed choice about it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom