More fuel for the helmet debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I overheard a conversation in the kitchen at work this morning, one person telling a colleague how her boyfriend had a cycling accident over the weekend.

The colleague asked, "Was he wearing a helmet?"

"Oh yes," was the reply. "He had an accident a few years ago and broke his pelvis and since then has always worn a helmet."

I left before I succumbed to the urge to comment. What would be the point, eh?

d.

You really do have a thing about helmets and Hi Viz don't you?
You may twist logic and misquote as much as you want, but I don't find your arguments at all convincing.

I do however believe that peeps who tackle the subject in the way that you do, do cyclists a disservice.

No-one is twisting logic or misquoting anything.... and how you translate a genuine question about wearing second hand helmets suported by the majority of Road Safety organisations to being a "disservice to cyclists" is a little bizzarre

The fact that you findthe evidence of RoSPA, BHSI, and others unconvincing is of some concerrn, but you are entitled to that opinion.... if you were not desparately stating what that opinion was.

Once again a simple question.

When offered a second hand helmet is checking it for fit suitability or cracks, wear and tear:

a. A sensible precaution
b unacceptable
c I am going to avoid the answer again

.........and you still haven't apologised for the use of obscenities

I have no wish to have your posts removed by the moderators as I am sure it is simply a level of ignorance of the English language that is amusing (to say the least) and if it was genuine a much, much higher level than your usual insults.

I overheard a conversation in the kitchen at work this morning, one person telling a colleague how her boyfriend had a cycling accident over the weekend.

The colleague asked, "Was he wearing a helmet?"

"Oh yes," was the reply. "He had an accident a few years ago and broke his pelvis and since then has always worn a helmet."

I left before I succumbed to the urge to comment. What would be the point, eh?

d.

I had a similar "conversation" with someone the other week about my not wearing a helmet. It went something like:

"You should wear a helmet."
"No thank you"
"My husband came off his bike and fractured his hip. It was months before he could walk again and he still has trouble. You really should wear a helmet"
"If I ever find a hip helmet, I might consider wearing one"
"What?"

Recycler

No-one is twisting logic or misquoting anything.... and

Your attempts to put words in my mouth will get you nowhere and, as I said before, I do believe that peeps who present a case in the way that you do, do a disservice to cyclists.

if you wish to engage in a sensible discussion let me know and we can start at the beginning.

Your attempts to put words in my mouth will get you nowhere and, as I said before, I do believe that peeps who present a case in the way that you do, do a disservice to cyclists.

if you wish to engage in a sensible discussion let me know and we can start at the beginning.

........and you still haven't apologised for the use of obscenities

I have no wish to have your posts removed by the moderators as I am sure it is simply a level of ignorance of the English language that is amusing (to say the least) and if it was genuine a much, much higher level than your usual insults.

Lets get this straight, so there is no mistake.....

I have asked whether you think checking a second hand helmet for cracks, wear and tear, fit and suitability before use is appropriate and you are refusing to answer as it is not a sensible discussion?

If you wish to engage in a sensible discussion let me know and we can start at the beginning.

I was absolutely right - you simply don't understand that you were using obscenities!

I showed your post to colleagues at work and they were splitting their sides that you really are unaware of what you were posting!

One of the best laughs we have had for ages, not often we get something this funny. What is more ironic is that when read in context with the posts it was in reply to you have unwittingly confirmed the poster's suspicions.

The problem being that it is now such a wonderful joke at work, that having your posts deleted by the moderators will spoil the fun.

:rofl:

I agree with you though.

If you wish to engage in a sensible discussion let me know and we can start at the beginning.

The beginning is so very simple - you posted an obscenity

You don't appear to have a wide enough knowledge of the English Language to realise that you were doing so.

Now it is over to you to either act responsibly by removing the offending post, or admit that you have no idea!

Over to you!!!!

Norm

[QUOTE 1895803, member: 45"]?..and I don't think recycler realises what you're implying.[/quote]
I don't think that's something that anyone would consider contentious. :biggrin:

Recycler

I stand by the facts.... RoSPA, BHSI, even BHIT

Selective quoting aside.......all three of the organisations which you are quoting recommend that helmets are worn at all times. I take it that you now support this?
Are you also proposing compulsion too?

Recycler

[QUOTE 1895803, member: 45"]. I found one word, and I don't think recycler realises what you're implying.[/quote]

To be frank, I know exactly what he is making a fuss about. However, as he has now told us how funny he found it and he has even shared my "wonderful joke" with his colleagues it simply shows us that his faux outrage is simply for effect on the forum. He can't have it both ways.
Old english words, though effectively redundant, can be fun. I'm glad that he has enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom