More fuel for the helmet debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

[QUOTE 1894730, member: 45"]
Look, the argument against those who advocate helmet use is a fair one. It doesn't need your drama to make it any stronger. You're just doing yourself a disservice and showing yourself as someone who can't be objective in this.[/quote]

Exactly. Some of the "anti" arguments that are pushed here sometimes are more likely to persuade people that compulsion is necessary than anything else.

Somebody, out of generosity, gives a kid a crash helmet and in they come talking about disease ,death and just about every imaginable cardinal sin.

Good on Accy for trying to help. I'm sure the kid appreciates it. It may even save him in an accident.

[QUOTE 1894730, member: 45"]See, you're doing it again. You should write headlines for the Daily Mail.

Infections are not readily passed on by helmet sharing. If an infected person shares a helmet then there's a risk that it may be passed on to a subsequent wearer.

That's the truth. What you'd like to portray is that anyone who wears someone else's helmet is at significant risk of catching a "pretty serious infection". They're not.

Look, the argument against those who advocate helmet use is a fair one. It doesn't need your drama to make it any stronger. You're just doing yourself a disservice and showing yourself as someone who can't be objective in this.[/quote]

Your trouble is you don't have a clue what you are talking about but like to pretend not only that you do but that you know more about it than others.

Tinea Capitis and the kerions which can develop from it are a very common scalp infections in kids that are contagious by contact both with a person or things they have been in contact with. As the US National Institute of Health says:

Tinea infections are contagious. You can catch tinea capitis if you come into direct contact with an area of ringworm on someone else's body, or if you touch items such as combs, hats, or clothing that have been used by someone with ringworm

and where someone in a household has it:
No one in the home should share combs, hairbrushes, hats, towels, pillowcases, or helmets with other people.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000878.htm

And why do you think the Vancouver and Melbourne helmet hire schemes to go with their bike share schemes both sterilise returned helmets if its not a problem? Anyone with school kids will know of the need to be alert to ringworm infections and lice infestations. But not you it seems.

But hey, don't let your ignorance get in the way of an opportunity to stalk.

[QUOTE 1894803, member: 45"]Does wearing a helmet make you swear as well?[/quote]

Nope- but a lack of knowledge of the English language does..... note how it is another point being avoided

Exactly. Some of the "anti" arguments that are pushed here sometimes are more likely to persuade people that compulsion is necessary than anything else.

Somebody, out of generosity, gives a kid a crash helmet and in they come talking about disease ,death and just about every imaginable cardinal sin.

Good on Accy for trying to help. I'm sure the kid appreciates it. It may even save him in an accident.

Lets get back to the basics, I have one of these in my loft somewhere..... from the early 1970s

bell_firsthelmet.jpg

8502N14B04bellbiker.jpg

Now if I am generous enough to give it to you, and expect you to wear it... will you blindly do so?

.. or will you carry out a few basic checks like looking for cracks, or seeing if it fits

(Or of course simply avoid answering)

Recycler

Now if I am generous enough to give it to you, and expect you to wear it... will you blindly do so?

i suspect that in your case there would be a very real risk of catching one of those contagious infections, so I would decline your hypothetical offer. I already have all the helmets I require.

Good night.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
To save time there should be a note in the forum welcome pack that states 'The mentioning of helmets is strictly forbidden as it is a personal choice to wear one or not and there are some reasons to wear one and some reasons not to and all you will get is an argument off one particular member designed to wind you up until you will definitely NEVER mention it again.'

I'm looking at you Cunobelin...;-)

Now, to flame a little more...my Dad used to work for a UK manufacturer of child seats and child cycle helmets and he once travelled to Norway to watch them (helmets) being tested. This was nearly 20 years ago so maybe the test has changed but his recollection was of a weight being dropped vertically onto the top of the helmet.

Given that no one crash is the same, that seems a rubbish test to me. I'm sure times have changed but I would like to see the data on helmet design which is more interesting than should/shouldn't.

i suspect that in your case there would be a very real risk of catching one of those contagious infections, so I would decline your hypothetical offer. I already have all the helmets I require.

Good night.

Suggesting that a helmet that is second hand is unwise is supported by ROSPA, BHSI and others. Motorcycle safety groups concur.

There is real evidence that aged helmets are less effective and deteriorate with age
It is a basic tenet that you should never use any safety equipment if you are unaware of it's history
There is unequivocal evidence that a poorly fitted helmet can INCREASE injury, so a proper fit is important.

You however think this is unacceptable !

The avoidance in answering says more than I ever could about the common sense of your argument.

Thank you for that.

.........and you still haven't apologised for the use of obscenities, do you really not understand the English language?

To save time there should be a note in the forum welcome pack that states 'The mentioning of helmets is strictly forbidden as it is a personal choice to wear one or not and there are some reasons to wear one and some reasons not to and all you will get is an argument off one particular member designed to wind you up until you will definitely NEVER mention it again.'

I'm looking at you Cunobelin...;-)

Now, to flame a little more...my Dad used to work for a UK manufacturer of child seats and child cycle helmets and he once travelled to Norway to watch them (helmets) being tested. This was nearly 20 years ago so maybe the test has changed but his recollection was of a weight being dropped vertically onto the top of the helmet.

Given that no one crash is the same, that seems a rubbish test to me. I'm sure times have changed but I would like to see the data on helmet design which is more interesting than should/shouldn't.

But at least you are now prepared to look at evidence!

Previously your attitude was that if you did not wear a helmet that:

If you can't see the sense in that then maybe you need some knocking into you! :-)

So you have learned from the experience.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
But at least you are now prepared to look at evidence!

I always was willing to look at the evidence, I am still entitled to my opinion though!

Regards to second hand, there is a lot of evidence in the world of child seats that second hand seats can do more damage in an accident than new seats, it's down to a few years of being thrown around and being badly treated before being given away. The average 2nd hand car seat is 5 years old and the materials aren't meant to last another 5 with the same level of protection.

Recycler

You really do have a thing about helmets and Hi Viz don't you?
You may twist logic and misquote as much as you want, but I don't find your arguments at all convincing.

I do however believe that peeps who tackle the subject in the way that you do, do cyclists a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom