More fuel for the helmet debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it Cucurbitaceae time yet?

Not yet.... mind you I like the sound of "Premature Cucurbitaceaetion"

I had an old helmet that i gave away to a young lad who i saw one day with a badly cut face. He told me that he'd come off his bike, and that he couldn't afford a helmet so i felt good giving it away to a good cause and i see him wearing it which is good.

I presume this is a full face helmet?

Also the other issues of fit, suitability, adjustability, breakdown of the material as the helmet ages... the blind assumption that wearing any old helmet is acceptable despite the fact that it may be ineffective is very worrying.

Recycler

I presume this is a full face helmet?

Also the other issues of fit, suitability, adjustability, breakdown of the material as the helmet ages... the blind assumption that wearing any old helmet is acceptable despite the fact that it may be ineffective is very worrying.

Sometimes it seems that it's only on the internet that a simple story of somebody doing a good turn for a youngster elicits a response like that. Very worrying, but that's the Internet.

Norm

Sometimes it seems that it's only on the internet that a simple story of somebody doing a good turn for a youngster elicits a response like that. Very worrying, but that's the Internet.
What is wrong with Cunobelin's comment? A helmet will not have any impact on the extent of facial injuries and a badly-fitted or badly-adjusted helmet can be very dangerous.

I'd say that comments like Cunobelin's are very useful, given that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Recycler

What is wrong with Cunobelin's comment? A helmet will not have any impact on the extent of facial injuries and a badly-fitted or badly-adjusted helmet can be very dangerous.

I'd say that comments like Cunobelin's are very useful, given that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Other than it being grudging, biased, critical, incomplete and ungenerous, nothing at all. It didn't even mentioned that it could, possibly, be dangerous, only that it may be "ineffective".

I rather doubt that, if OP had given a bike to a youngster, it would generate a critical response along the lines of were the brakes A1, the tyres OK, pressures correct, etc etc?

To me, it reads more like a "I don't like helmets" posting than a genuine attempt at being helpful.

The OP made a generous effort to help somebody. Frankly, it's up to the kid and/or his parents to make sure that the helmet is right.

Whether someone is doing a good turn is highly questionable - if you believe helmets work as designed he could well be doing them a very bad turn which is what Cunobelin's comments seem to be about. First to work as designed a helmet has to fit and they are not one size fits all. Second there is the risk of transferring a number of quite serious scalp diseases and infestations if it has not been properly sterilised. With a member of your family where you know if there are any problems its OK but from a stranger where you don't have a clue about them or who has been wearing it its a risk and some of the infections are nasty. Finally helmets are designed to be replaced after a single impact and regularly replaced as they age. This person is getting a helmet with an unknown history - it could well have been crashed - and age.

Recycler

Whether someone is doing a good turn is highly questionable - if you believe helmets work as designed he could well be doing them a very bad turn which is what Cunobelin's comments seem to be about. First to work as designed a helmet has to fit and they are not one size fits all. Second there is the risk of transferring a number of quite serious scalp diseases and infestations if it has not been properly sterilised. With a member of your family where you know if there are any problems its OK but from a stranger where you don't have a clue about them or who has been wearing it its a risk and some of the infections are nasty. Finally helmets are designed to be replaced after a single impact and regularly replaced as they age. This person is getting a helmet with an unknown history - it could well have been crashed - and age.

Perhaps you should take the ridiculously contrived question of disease and infestation up with the OP?

As I said before, a good turn was made by OP. It's up to the kid and/or the parents to put it to good use.
I rather doubt that peeps would carry on like this if he had given the kid a bike, but helmets seem to bring out the most ridiculous of arguments from some.

Regards,
Recycler
(free from scalp infestations and diseases)

Other than it being grudging, biased, critical, incomplete and ungenerous, nothing at all. It didn't even mentioned that it could, possibly, be dangerous, only that it may be "ineffective".

I stand by the facts.... RoSPA, BHSI, even BHIT are against second hand helmets, but I am sure that they will bow to your greater experience and knowledge by rescinding these statements.. I dare say that the motorcycling organisations will then also follow your inimitable lead.

I rather doubt that, if OP had given a bike to a youngster, it would generate a critical response along the lines of were the brakes A1, the tyres OK, pressures correct, etc etc?

I certainly would be critical if the most basic checks were not performed and am frequently critical of free and hand me down bikes

Twice in the last year I have advised against the use of second hand bikes that are unsafe. One had a small crack in the frame by the headset and the other had severe rust problems that had penetrated the frame. I have also advised on safety when another child was riding a bike far too tall and could not get their feet on the ground.

Please tell me that I was wrong in doing this, or by doing so have I become "anti-bike"?

Just because it is free does not mean that it is safe!

To me, it reads more like a "I don't like helmets" posting than a genuine attempt at being helpful.

The OP made a generous effort to help somebody. Frankly, it's up to the kid and/or his parents to make sure that the helmet is right.

Entirely your misinterpretation....

Making such basic checks is surely and simply common sense?

Do you really have a problem with such basics being raised?

However if you feel that dismissing the valid points and feel that the helmet should have simply been accepted and worn without any basic checks on fit and suitability or condition is appropriate then my concerns are on solid foundations![/quote]

Perhaps you should take the ridiculously contrived question of disease and infestation up with the OP?

As I said before, a good turn was made by OP. It's up to the kid and/or the parents to put it to good use.
I rather doubt that peeps would carry on like this if he had given the kid a bike, but helmets seem to bring out the most ridiculous of arguments from some.

Regards,
Recycler
(free from scalp infestations and diseases)

My "ridiculously contrived question" is one of the main reasons why most bike share schemes don't have a helmet share scheme attached to them and the ones that do have a damage inspection and sterilisation regime for all returned helmets. But you live in your fantasy world where the parents and kid are well informed on such issues. The real question though is why you are so keen for the kid to have a helmet on its head without regard to whether it is going to cause them health problems, whether it actually fits or whether its integrity has been compromised by accidents or misuse.

The real question though is why you are so keen for the kid to have a helmet on its head without regard to whether it is going to cause them health problems, whether it actually fits or whether its integrity has been compromised by accidents or misuse.

Any helmet is better than no helmet - Simples!

Any helmet is better than no helmet - Simples!

Can't resist........can't resist........can't res....arrrrgghhhhh.....

Photo Apr 19, 19 04 34.png

Recycler

I stand by the facts.... RoSPA, BHSI, even BHIT are against second hand helmets, but I am sure that they will bow to your greater experience and knowledge

snipetty snip snip
I certainly would be critical if the most basic checks were not performed and am frequently critical of free and hand me down bikes

quote]

The whole tone dear chap. The tone of your post was what i was commenting on. Doom and gloom. Not even a concession on the generosity.

By the way....what does your signature mean? I can't understand what you are attempting to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom