More Jargon Bingo - does anyone have "COMONS" at work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Still annoying though! I hate jargon and buzz words, my job consists of explaining stuff to people whose first language is not English and who don't trust anybody outside their close community as they're too accustomed to being cheated and short-changed so all my life I've tried to write in plain English.

My boss is a pompous buffoon and I once saw a fax he had written to one of our overseas agents. The poor woman had needed to get a dictionary, underline all the pompous words and write the translation next to them, absolutely unforgivable misuse by my boss of the clearest language in the world.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Still annoying though! I hate jargon and buzz words, my job consists of explaining stuff to people whose first language is not English and who don't trust anybody outside their close community as they're too accustomed to being cheated and short-changed so all my life I've tried to write in plain English.

My boss is a pompous buffoon and I once saw a fax he had written to one of our overseas agents. The poor woman had needed to get a dictionary, underline all the pompous words and write the translation next to them, absolutely unforgivable misuse by my boss of the clearest language in the world.
English is the clearest language in the world? :scratch: No, it's a ridiculously messed-up combination of dozens of other languages, with too many exceptions to too many rules.

alicat

Legendary Member
I'm with @Globalti. English is a very flexible language and uses fewer words to get the same meaning over than many other European languages. Of course, in unskilled hands it can come unstuck.

And to get back to the topic, I spent 12 years in a job not knowing what 'NAP' meant. "As in, we haven't gone NAP on that."

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Would the recitation in full of earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation each time be better though?

I agree with your wider point, mind ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
English is the clearest language in the world? :scratch: No, it's a ridiculously messed-up combination of dozens of other languages, with too many exceptions to too many rules.

That's the very reason why English is the lingua franca of the world, banking, aviation, media, technical, you name it. The French government has been battling for decades to prevent English from creeping into French and mostly failing. Well the Normans gave us plenty of new words so now it's our turn.

JPBoothy

Veteran
In addition to strange 'work lingo' has anybody else's company adopted the Siglum in place of the 'much easier to remember' department name? I genuinely believe that some people are tasked with making simple things sound complicated because top management think it sounds clever and therefore the company more dynamic. What a crock of manure.

Top Bottom