More London - Long and Ranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Evening all. I've just got back from London on a visit from my outlaws. As always, I enjoy looking at anything bike-shaped and get a particular kick out of seeing all those skinny-jean clad hipsters on their aerospoked fixies. Unfortunately, this visit had some bike-related unpleasantness. In line with my scientific training, I'll try and present this as 'observation', 'hypothesis', (unfortunately skipping 'experiment') and 'conclusion'. I will swear. A lot.

Our family group was crossing Shaftsbury Av from Neal Street on a zebra crossing. The two whole cars on Shaftsbury Av had stopped. But, just as we are crossing, a gentleman on a black Cannondale slips through on the nearside of the two stationary cars and splits our group, narrowly missing my sister-in-law and my two month old niece in her pram. This was not a smooth dissection; Mr Cannondale wobbled like a dipsomaniac bike-polo player.

"It was necessary for him to do this to ensure his safety!", I hear the apologists cry. Lets test this. Shaftsbury Av was empty, so there was no immediate threat from the weight of traffic. The two waiting cars were doing exactly that - waiting. I've never seen anybody hit by something that wasn't moving. He chose to undertake them. Not the cleverest thing I've ever seen but, as there was no left turn near the zebra crossing he only risked being squeezed against the curb. His choice. I'd have waited behind the two cars, but what do I know, I'm just some country hick. Even if his manoeuvre was "safer", who was its safer for? Might I suggest that his risk assessment skills were, at best, a little self-centred. He was happy to risk tipping a two month-old baby on to the road in order to avoid some vague 'risk' posed by the only two cars remotely near him.

I don't believe he was 'minimising risk to himself'. I hypothesise that he routinely jumps zebra crossings (I'll place a bet on red lights as well) because he does not want to stop. I hypothesise that he does not give a shoot. I hypothesise that he is a c*nt.

Now, stretching the scientific structure to breaking point, here are some conclusions. I don't want a London-style cycling revolution because it's not the way forward. It seems to be about selfish people in cars and selfish people on bikes having a ruck and bugger the fallout. Like the spokesmatey from the AA or the RAC said, its become tribal. After this and a few other scenes that I witnessed, as a cyclist I felt a bit like the confused Nazi from the Mitchell and Webb sketch.

I got home this evening and went out for ride. During the ride, I (shock horror) gave way to a lady, even though I had the right of way, so she could make a right-turn more easily. Smiles and thank-yous all round. Pegging down a narrow lane, the driver following waited for half a mile behind without getting impatient. When its safe for him to overtake, I give him a thumbs-up. Smiles and goodwill to all men.

Why is this so f*cking hard to do in London?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I hear ya Bollo, it is tribal, in London at least.

yenrod

Cause their's soo many people and people cannot tolertate or compute great amounts of people in their minds soo they act like this.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
tdr1nka said:
I hear ya Bollo, it is tribal, in London at least.
Thanks T, today really pee'd me off in a way that very few things do. I'm still seething.

PS No worries about the 'editing'. I think people will get the gist.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
yenrod said:
Cause their's soo many people and people cannot tolertate or compute great amounts of people in their minds soo they act like this.

I've been crossing dismounted at a pelican crossing only to have a cyclist undertaking the stopped traffic nearly run right into me.
Although I was stood there in full kit, with a bike, the lights still on red, he gave me a tirade of angry abuse for having made him stop!

Diddums.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
tdr1nka said:
There has been a rise in cycling in London so there are more bad cyclists IMO.
I could honestly spend some of my rides shouting at as many cr*p cyclists as motorists. :biggrin:
If it were as simple as more people on bikes, I'd expect an increase in the unassertive and cautious. I really really really don't want to sound like a Daily Mail columnist or some CTC crumbly, but the bike seems to have become a lifestyle choice, and the scene demands that you ride in a certain way and with a certain attitude. My example today is just some tw*t following the herd - his own self image is more important than the well-being of his fellow human beings.
I've spent some time in Denmark and the Nederlands and what I like about both nations' attitude is that cycling is viewed as something mundane. Cycling is very fast walking. That's exactly what city cycling should be, not some 'look at me' fashion statement.

jasper

I feel your pain my friend (not being sarcastic) but if you read the RLJ threads, you get a lot of people sticking up for this sort of behaviour as it makes the cyclist less vunerable....(or some other bullshit).

hackbike 6

"It was necessary for him to do this to ensure his safety!", I hear the apologists cry.

heh!

I believe it is less to do with being c*nts and more to do with people's perception of bikes.

I percieve a bicycle to be a vehicle, therefore when I am riding it I behave (with respect to the rules) as though I am on my motorbike, or driving a car.

Most people see a bicycle as just a bicycle, it is merely a way of going a bit faster than walking, thus they can go anywhere on it any way they please.

We need the driving test and schools to help change this ingrained opinion that bicycles aren't vehicles. I read the TRL report Drivers Perception of Cyclists recently, and when the panel was asked "list the most annoying vehicles on the road" noone answered bicycle until they were reminded bicycles counted!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
jasper said:
I feel your pain my friend (not being sarcastic) but if you read the RLJ threads, you get a lot of people sticking up for this sort of behaviour as it makes the cyclist less vunerable....(or some other bullshit).
I tend to avoid RLJ (and helmet) threads even though I have my opinions. Life is just too short and its very rare that anything gets sorted before it descends into a slanging match. I thought a bit before posting this little incident and I'm sure they'll be someone along soon with an 'alternative view' of the danger that Mr Cannondale was facing.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I believe it is less to do with being c*nts and more to do with people's perception of bikes.....
Thought about this one. When I walk down a busy street, more or less consciously I'm planning my route through the crowd and negotiating with my fellow humans so that we make progress without a coming together. Mr Cannondale's actions are the equivalent of 17 stone of me steaming down my local high-street in a dead straight line, sweeping all aside. Selfish and unnecessary.
Like nearly all the people on this forum, I love riding bikes. I'm an enthusiast and an advocate for cycling. I don't care what people ride, what they're wearing or how fast they're going, I've always regarded seeing a person on a bike as an inherently good thing. Yesterday's incident and all the peripheral nonsense I witnessed forced me to question whether the high uptake in London is a completely good thing. If my perceptions are not wholly positive, then J Public's perceptions are going to be pretty negative.
Anyone who cycles will recognise the attitudes the TRL report examines immediately. In many cases, we are the victims this country's love affair with cars and we do get treated as an 'out' group. This doesn't mean we behave like a gang of outlaws and create our own form of cycling ghetto.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In fairness, there are lots of good riders in London, plus some twunts like the one you came across Bollo.

I've had a similar experience with a cyclist nearly running down my family on a pedestrian crossing outside the NHM. He was quite shocked at my aggression when I rounded on him to get between him and my little boy. I was really angry that he'd risk injuring a 2.5 year old.

LLB

I've expressed sentiment like yours in the past only to be shouted down as being anti cycling Bollo. It's not good :rolleyes:

These selfish riders do so much harm to cycling as either a pastime or transport

ChrisKH

Guru
Bollo said:
Why is this so f*cking hard to do in London?

It isn't. Certainly not for me. Regrettably it's the unthinking RLJ'ers who get the attention whilst law abiding cyclists suffer as a result of the bad publicity.

Top Bottom