More of us should haggle in the shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

the only time I haggled was in Turkey, and even that was a chore. I prefer not to as most of the time in the UK it's hardly ever successful.

domtyler

Über Member
rich p said:
What a laugh!!! I work in the small shop trade in Brighton and the vast majority are struggling to keep their heads above water. The rents and rates are crippling, waste disposal is a costly business, utility charges are higher than domestic charges etc. There are precious few Mercedes around!
I didn't ask you to feel sorry for them' I merely pointed out that you should beware what you wish for as the consequences may not be desirable.

My heart bleeds! :tongue:

Seriously, it's not rocket science, if your shop is not doing well then you need to go back to your business plan and work out why and how you can improve on it.

PS, I'm pretty sure you drive either a Merc or a Beemer.

walker

rich p said:
What a laugh!!! I work in the small shop trade in Brighton and the vast majority are struggling to keep their heads above water. The rents and rates are crippling, waste disposal is a costly business, utility charges are higher than domestic charges etc. There are precious few Mercedes around!
I didn't ask you to feel sorry for them' I merely pointed out that you should beware what you wish for as the consequences may not be desirable.

Brighton is vastly over priced for what it is, a student town. I was looking to move there earlier in the year and it was cheaper to stay in London

domtyler

Über Member
walker said:
Brighton is vastly over priced for what it is, a student town. I was looking to move there earlier in the year and it was cheaper to stay in London

I've just looked on Rightmove and for a four bedroom semi the prices start from £199K, I would say that is far cheaper than London.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
we haggle over car prices...white goods etc...so why not food etc.

Most of the food we buy is too cheap already - hence the ability of even those on low incomes to eat too much, and for Britons to throw away the vast proportion of food they currently do.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Most of the food we buy is too cheap already - hence the ability of even those on low incomes to eat too much, and for Britons to throw away the vast proportion of food they currently do.

You are campaigning for food prices to rise? I'm not sure you will find a lot of support among the sane Arch.

Arch said:

Technically food prices here, especially the evil of FairTrade, are too high Arch - they are a fair bit above equilibrium price.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
You are campaigning for food prices to rise? I'm not sure you will find a lot of support among the sane Arch.

I'm not campaiging for anything. I'm merely saying that I think we get food pretty cheap, which encourages waste. I certainly don't think it should be haggled over.

It would be better if the right foods were dirt cheap, and the fancy pre-packed crap ones were more expensive, yes, but I'm not holding my breath for the masses to agree with me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Technically food prices here, especially the evil of FairTrade, are too high Arch - they are a fair bit above equilibrium price.

29p for a loaf of crap bread is too high? 8p for a pack of basic noodles? 17p for a tin of tomatoes?

(What is 'equilibrium price' BTW? I know nothing about economics, beyond how to get my weekly food shop for as little as possible...)

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

What do you mean by the evil of fair trade? I saw a documentary the other day about FT cocoa producers but still haven't got the full message.

davidwalton

Well, I see no reason not to haggle; especially if spending a lot, and/or spending outside of normal purchase seasons.

If the SMALL trader says no, then you decide whether to pay their price or go elsewhere. If a LARGE trader says no, you have the same choice.

I won't just accept the ticket price without at least asking though. Some shops profit expectations are different to others, so you have to ask.

BTW- With larger items, I would generally have done some homework and found other prices through the Internet, and/or phone. Never go unprepared when haggling. Larger stores may not discount but have a policy of price matching, so take some proof of prices with you.

walker

domtyler said:
I've just looked on Rightmove and for a four bedroom semi the prices start from £199K, I would say that is far cheaper than London.

When I was house shopping about a year ago that same price was for a 2 bedroom flat. it looks like they have reduced in price.

I love Brighton and would say its the best town in the south of England. I plan on spending a large amount of time there at some point in my life

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I was a driving instructor I was asked on quite a few occasions if I gave discounts. My standard reply was, "You can discount the idea of cheap lessons".

Hagglers are a pain in the arse. They always turn out to be the customers you wish you had never bothered to do business with.

Smokin Joe said:
Hagglers are a pain in the arse. They always turn out to be the customers you wish you had never bothered to do business with.

An article in The Times suggested that if you stand in a shop and make it clear that you are prepared to haggle indefinitely, then they will often let you have it cheap just to get rid of you. Morally, it strikes me as little better than threatening to lie on the floor until you get the goods cheap.

Top Bottom