More of us should haggle in the shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does this thread now hold the record for longest time between posts?
I'm not going to be the one who checks! Maybe Shaun has some nifty script which can do it for us...

Hmm, my question is this... Did Bigtallfatbloke metamorphosise into BigonaBianchi after losing weight and/or buying a Bianchi, or are they two different people, in which case, whatever happened to Bigtallfatbloke?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm not going to be the one who checks! Maybe Shaun has some nifty script which can do it for us...

Hmm, my question is this... Did Bigtallfatbloke metamorphosise into BigonaBianchi after losing weight and/or buying a Bianchi, or are they two different people, in which case, whatever happened to Bigtallfatbloke?

BTFB and BOAB are one and the same.

Weight loss and the acquisition of a Bianchi lead to the name change.

Not seen any recent postings from either user ID.

When I was a driving instructor I was asked on quite a few occasions if I gave discounts. My standard reply was, "You can discount the idea of cheap lessons".

Hagglers are a pain in the arse. They always turn out to be the customers you wish you had never bothered to do business with.

+1 to that. Now and then I'm asked if I can reduce my quote for consultancy work, answer is almost invariably "no", I know what my work is worth and know what the competition charge. The only time I have ever reduced quotes is for big time repeat customers, which is probably a loyalty bonus. My experience is the same in that hagglers are often the ones you don't want to work for and are rarely repeat customers.

As for the argument that "I can get it cheaper at Argos" I wonder why they didn't go there in the first instance? I certainly shop around but don't haggle, except at car boot sales where it is part of the fun.

Gordon

Chromatic

Legendary Member

I was wondering the same just a few days ago, I was also wondering what happened to MrPig too, and Wafflycat.

It's always worth asking. These days I just hold up my phone with a site on where the item is cheaper and ask them if they can match or get close. If they've just spent a lot of time with me, explaining things, I'm perfectly willing to pay more than I could get it online for and how I approach it really depends on the shop, big chain, no qualms at all, small shop, a gentle ask and a willingness to accept a different deal that leaves us all happy and a small shop is likely to get repeat business off me.

ASC1951

Guru
You want us to feel sorry for the retailers and pay massively inflated prices so they can feather their nests/drive their Mercs?

I think you need to take a reality check mate.
And I expect you get a little glow every time you waste a shop assistant's time trying something out, then go and buy it online if you can't beat the shop down below the same price.

In my reality, that is immoral. And I drive a ten year old Astra.

mgarl10024

Über Member
In a previous job, I overheard a colleague arranging a deal for some replacement tyres for his car. He was a confident chap, and by the end of it, he had most of the open-plan office tuned in. I'll make up the details, but the essence is there.

To garage1: "Yep, that's what I want. £280? Ok, leave it with me"
To garage2: "Yep, that's what I want. £260? Ok, thanks, leave it with me"
To garage1: "Hi, is that Dave? Hi - I've just got a quote for £260. Ok, £250, leave it with me"
To garage2: "Hi, is that Steve? Dave say's he'll do it for £250? Ok, £235, thanks, leave it with me"
To garage1: "Hi, is that Dave? Steve says £235. £230, final? ok."
To garage2: "Hi, is that Steve? Dave say's he'll do it for £230? You can't? I'm gonna have to let him have the business.... £225, good man!".
To garage1: "Hi, is that Dave? Steve says £225.. You can't? I'm gonna have to let him have the business. Thanks anyway".

We just all sat there stunned, all tuned in. Personally, I had a sense of admiration for him - not sure I could have pulled that off so well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Haggling is all very well if you hold out for a price, but it is humiliating when you blink first...

Me: "I want to buy that Sony Trinitron set - how much?"

Salesman: "£500"

Me: "Comet in Halifax have it for £470""

Salesman: "Buy it from them then!"

Me: "If I paid cash, would you knock something off the price?"

Salesman: "No, the price is £500!"

Me: "Oh come on, I know you have to pay a fee to the credit card company if I pay by plastic. How about I walk across the road to the bank and get the cash?

Salesman: "Great - make sure you withdraw £500!"

Me (blushing): "Er, I think I'll use my credit card..."

Salesman: "Thank you sir, and can I also interest you in..."

(I wanted to buy from them because they were just round the corner from me and had their own repairman who I could call out at short notice if need be.)

mgarl10024

Über Member
For bikes, as Mickle says, I expect to do some sort of deal on accessories if I'm buying a bike at the shop rather than on the web.

I was told that about 10% of the bike's value on accessories should be about right. Is it?
Edit: When I say this, I mean if you bought £1000 of bike, you should expect £100 of free accessories.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I am so bad at haggling I don't even bother trying. Last time I bought a car, the salesman seemed taken aback when I said "fine" to the price, and then started seeing what he could do to get the price down... haggling himself.
smile.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love haggling. It's my salesman nature. The big chain stores are best for haggling. Comet, Curry's, Carpetright etc. When I bought my bikes, one I got 10% off plus a pair of xt pedals and a couple of spesh bottle cages. Other one, same as before but including a saddle bag. My philosophy is you don't ask, you don't get.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I love a good haggle too but don't always need to do it - it does depend on the place and context but you can get a good bargain that way.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Another good haggling story...

My dad was after a car and liked one that he saw at the local garage. I think it was £3600.
Dad: "I've got £3000".
Salesman: "I can't sell it for less than the £3600.
Dad: "Ok, I'll wait until you lower the price. See you next week."
-Next week-
-Next week-

And this went on and on. I also remember:
Dad: "Perhaps I can have my car for £3000 in 6mths time?"
Salesman: "Sir, if that car is still there in 6mths time, I'll give it to you". :biggrin:

I can't remember what he paid in the end, but I don't think it was far from the £3000. I think they just wanted to get rid of him. :laugh:

Top Bottom