More snapped spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

after my last post about having 2 snapped spokes on my bike it has been in the repair shop and I have had the snapped ones replaced went out again last night and another one popped so I think I need different wheels. Any ideas on a decent set of wheels and what I should be looking to pay its a cube peleton if that is any help.

Thanks

gasinayr

Über Member
Had the same when I bought my Trek 6000 mtb, Got the LBS to rebuild the rear wheel with better spokes, never had another one snap in 5000 miles. Rebuild plus spokes £40.00 cheaper than new wheels

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The Mavic Aksiums are a bit heavy but when my rear derailleur mangled my driveside rear Zonda spokes I replaced them with Aksium front wheel spokes - 3 years later they are still going strong. If you want a bit better wheel then Fulcrum Racing 5 or 3 /Zonda's come recommended.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

or get the wheel rebuilt with good quality stainless steel spokes. Did this to a number of wheels...never broke a spoke after that....
This. As @Yellow Saddle has explained in other similar threads, the spokes have reached their fatigue limit. As the spokes are of the same age and material, they're going to fail due to fatigue (all that stretching and relaxing as you use the bike) at around the same time. New spokes it is (subject to the rim not being overly worn).

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
In my experience with Cube's wheels is that spokes are of very poor quality. You can get the wheel rebuilt with DT Swiss Competition or Sapin Race spokes. Unlike the spokes on your wheels, these are stainless steel and double butted spokes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mavic Askiums :okay:
Rode a pair for a year and the rim on the rear wheel split at a spoke nipple. For cheap, bombproof wheels I'd go Shimano.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I replaced the worn out 105s with marvic aksiums. 2 years ago. I paid about £140 for the pair. I am fairly lardy at 13 st and have done some mild off road tracks and some touring carrying a tent ect during the 2000 odd miles they have been on yet they are as straight as the day i bought them and never a hint of any spoke breakages.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rebuild in our LBS is £25 plus spokes, and I know the lad who does it, decent job. If the rim and him are in good order that's the way I'd go.

Tojo

Über Member
In my experience with Cube's wheels is that spokes are of very poor quality. You can get the wheel rebuilt with DT Swiss Competition or Sapin Race spokes. Unlike the spokes on your wheels, these are stainless steel and double butted spokes.

Sorry to burst your bubble on Cube, My Cube CX came with Fulcrums as standard......:thumbsup:

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry to burst your bubble on Cube, My Cube CX came with Fulcrums as standard......:thumbsup:
I suspect many Cubes don't though.
I'd vote Fulcrum 5s as well as R501s, depending on budget.
The 5s are pretty bombproof and light although do have a rider weight recommendation. I once inadvertently dropped my front wheel into a storm drain and it went with a hell of a bang. Well that's FUBAR'd it I thought....not a mark on the wheel, broken spoke or buckle. Still going strong several years later.

The 501s, if basically the same as 500s, will be pretty bombproof although a bit heavy. Done many years and thousands of miles winter commuting on them....they look tired now but are still very smooth

+1 for the rebuild, no point wasting perfectly good rims and hubs, that is if they are worth keeping. IMO good strong wheels should have 32 spokes minimum, although 28 would be about as low as I would be prepared to go if it was a rebuild to save parts from scrap, if buying new go for 36 on back, 32 on front to maximise durability, particularly if you are a heavier rider.

Top Bottom