More than 32,000 people have died on British roads in the past 10 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
very-near said:
this living streets is a pipe dream. We live with the car, most houses have at least one and whilst this continues to be the case there IMO is a duty of care by the parents to either ensure that their kids are supervised or taught safe practice. Where your ideal falls over is when these clueless kids venture near a busy road and are unable to deal with it. who's fault is it then ?

What's all this shouting? Living streets is an entirely sensible and very simple idea. Oh, and it's the fault of the drivers who run the people over.

User3094 said:
...a 20mph limit is just a kneejerk reaction fit for the Daily Mail pages.

No its not, its a proven fact?

This collision didn't happen at 20 or 30 though did it.

Would a 20 limit have saved his life ?

theclaud said:
What's all this shouting? Living streets is an entirely sensible and very simple idea. Oh, and it's the fault of the drivers who run the people over.

THIS IS SHOUTING!!!!!. This is responding within a quote

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry I should of said ... I don't travel at rush hour... I drop my youngest at school and then set off and similarly pick him up from school so my commuting is done at 8.45 and 2.45 ish so hardy prime rush hour (though school run time). I often pass cars that I don't see until a mile or two along the road - as I said my average speed is 10 mph (look on cyclogs if you don't believe me) so those cars are literally crawling along. Traffic in cities doesn't move fast most of the time.

With regards to Hannah Saff. On that stretch of road I doubt cars do 30 mph ... its downhill so I can go faster and I keep up with the traffic (I'm usually in primary due to what the road is like just beyond that point) so I think 20 mph is the normal max on that road where Sam was killed.

As for letting my kids play on the road - I live by some quiet roads so yes I have let mine play on the roads but only with specific rules and not until I was sure that they understood the dangers. Many kids grow up not being allowed to walk to school, play near roads, go out by themselves - all too dangerous apparently - they are the clueless kids who have grown up without experiencing the road and learning from it. Parents can't supervise their children all the time unless they become those helicopter parents at some point they have to let go - at that point do you want to be the parent of a child who has been wrapped up in cotton wool. Home zones change the balance so that it becomes more normal to go out and play with your friends, explore your neighbourhood etc.

I don't know why I'm replying to this as I doubt you are prepared to alter your view on this at all.

User3094 said:
A 'duty of care' is a very comendable preventative measure. A 20mph speed limit would also be a comendable measure.

How can you support one but not the other?

A duty of care is to drive at a speed which you are able to stop within the distance you see to be safe. Are you asserting that this is only achievable at 20mph ?

Oh, don't try and attribute anything I say to the ABD, or safespeed or vice-versa. I am not a member of either.

User3094 said:
Im sorry, what collision? In any event, you can not deduce an entire transport policy from a single RTA.

The colission in Bristol which took Sam Riddalls life. Would a 20mph limit have saved him ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
very-near said:
The colission in Bristol which took Sam Riddalls life. Would a 20mph limit have saved him ?

No it wouldn't but because she was ignoring the speed limit anyway.... if you want to take it too its full limit ... then taking away her keys and everyone elses would have saved his life - is that what you are suggesting instead? But there are other children whose lives would be saved by a 20 mph limit.

summerdays said:
Sorry I should of said ... I don't travel at rush hour... I drop my youngest at school and then set off and similarly pick him up from school so my commuting is done at 8.45 and 2.45 ish so hardy prime rush hour (though school run time). I often pass cars that I don't see until a mile or two along the road - as I said my average speed is 10 mph (look on cyclogs if you don't believe me) so those cars are literally crawling along. Traffic in cities doesn't move fast most of the time.

With regards to Hannah Saff. On that stretch of road I doubt cars do 30 mph ... its downhill so I can go faster and I keep up with the traffic (I'm usually in primary due to what the road is like just beyond that point) so I think 20 mph is the normal max on that road where Sam was killed.

As for letting my kids play on the road - I live by some quiet roads so yes I have let mine play on the roads but only with specific rules and not until I was sure that they understood the dangers. Many kids grow up not being allowed to walk to school, play near roads, go out by themselves - all too dangerous apparently - they are the clueless kids who have grown up without experiencing the road and learning from it. Parents can't supervise their children all the time unless they become those helicopter parents at some point they have to let go - at that point do you want to be the parent of a child who has been wrapped up in cotton wool. Home zones change the balance so that it becomes more normal to go out and play with your friends, explore your neighbourhood etc.

I don't know why I'm replying to this as I doubt you are prepared to alter your view on this at all.

You are reply to this because it is something you feel strongly about SD (and so do I)

Your rules seem to be very similar to mine in regard to playing on or near the road so what are you asking for ?

You wouldn't allow your kids to kick a ball on a trunk road even if the traffic was limited to 20mph bu you would allow then onto an empty cul-de-sac provided they got off the road if a car turned in (even if it was set at 30mph) - and so would I.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They are currently playing ice hockey on the road.... as you say its a quiet road and nothing is doing 30 mph today. I would still expect the car to slow down on seeing children in the road and allow then the time to get off and not beep them for being there.

Cab

summerdays said:
They are currently playing ice hockey on the road.... as you say its a quiet road and nothing is doing 30 mph today. I would still expect the car to slow down on seeing children in the road and allow then the time to get off and not beep them for being there.

The assumption seems to be that roads are for cars; they are, but they're not solely for cars. If a speed limit is such that other valid users of that road are excluded then it would be appropriate to lower it or install other measures to give other users fair and reasonable access. That changes on dual carriageways, fast out of town roads etc., but not to the point where other valid users are excluded.

The kids out playing ice hockey (or football in better weather, or whatever else!) are valid users of that space. For motorists to treat roads as their own private domain and deprive other users is unacceptable; for so many people to cave in to that demand is a sign that as a society we're seriously missing the point of what public spaces are for.

A 20mph limit helps reinforce the attitude that public spaces are for more than just the motorists. My only criticism of more widespread 20mph zones is that we may end up forgetting that lesson if such a speed limit becomes standard.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
My only criticism of more widespread 20mph zones is that we may end up forgetting that lesson if such a speed limit becomes standard.

I'd be keen to see some residential roads limited to walking pace.

Top Bottom