More than 32,000 people have died on British roads in the past 10 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

very-near said:
I've already stated I don't have a problem with 20 zones if used where the risk warrants it (schools, high footfal zones etc).

So thats pretty much right across the current 30mph zones in towns and cities, plus roads through villages, etc?

User3094 said:
But the implication by yourself so far in this thread is that you know better where these areas are than a proven scientfic report. Would that be a fair assumption?

Smeggers .As long as there are cavalier and habitual convicted speeders like yourself, all posted limits are irrelevant.

Cab

[moderators hat on]
Gentlemen, please, we're all friends here; no need to be personal and nasty with each other; its not been a bad discussion, don't lets ruin it now, eh?[moderators hat off]

(obviously with regards to this thread, I'm not modding it, because I'm in it, but posts like we've seen just now are not going to go un-noticed)

Cab said:
So thats pretty much right across the current 30mph zones in towns and cities, plus roads through villages, etc?

If speeding is the issue it is purported to be, then better enforcment of existing zones would bear just as much fruit.

If I can draw a comparison with this and the hunting laws...

just jim

very-near said:
If speeding is the issue it is purported to be, then better enforcment of existing zones would bear just as much fruit.

I'm sure you could crowbar something in, from what I've read so far.

User3094 said:
Cop out.

I admit, I dont like it anymore than you do. My (by self admission) desire to speed is very great indeed.

However, how can you possibly argue against proven evidence?

Any chance of answering the question?

You are making this circular. For the last time, I've already stated I have no problem with them if applied with a bit of common sense. The blanket wide application would be counter productive and it would provoke mass disobedience. They break one law all the time, it won't be long before they move onto bigger things. This is an attempt to criminalise the very vast number of drivers on the roads.

User3094 said:
Now thats actually quite a good point (and no not because Cabs just told us to play nice)....

I suppose a simple reduction to 20mph is a lot more effective in terms of Pound per KSI saved, than putting enforcement over the entire 30mph road network?

So logically moving on from this, if we were to agree that targetted 20's are the way forward as there is a proven advantage to be had balanced against the congestion they would bring, then you would accept that there are other areas which would not actually benifit from their application - in the name of balance ?

StuartG

slower but further
very-near said:
I sincerely suspect that your interest is more of a self serving one to keep the cars behind you on your cycle commute by forcing their speed down and making it almost impossible for them to overtake you Stuart. Feel free to prove me wrong ..
No point. You said it would not be difficult to check my very modest posting record. I know you did just that. It makes my position crystal clear on the above points. These are:

1) Do I commute?
2) Do I like keeping cars behind me?

The answers are out there and you (should) know them. So why the smear?

Origamist

Legendary Member
very-near said:
So logically moving on from this, if we were to agree that targetted 20's are the way forward as there is a proven advantage to be had balanced against the congestion they would bring, then you would accept that there are other areas which would not actually benifit from their application - in the name of balance ?

What congestion?!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
very-near said:

Yes - I think motorways wouldn't benefit from a 20 mph area.

The congestion is already there, 20 mph zones may help because of the smoothing of the traffic speed. But to really address the congestion problem we need to surgically remove drivers from their cars. I've had some cards delivered by car to my house... OK they are my friends but they could have walked or cycled it - its just an example, or all those school runs by car. Many journeys that are made by car are completely unnecessary and by removing those journeys from the road would be the best way of reducing congestion.

StuartG said:
No point. You said it would not be difficult to check my very modest posting record. I know you did just that. It makes my position crystal clear on the above points. These are:

1) Do I commute?
2) Do I like keeping cars behind me?

The answers are out there and you (should) know them. So why the smear?

I'd not call it a smear, more of an honest apprasial. No one likes being overtaken (and then cut up) I don't !

summerdays said:
Yes - I think motorways wouldn't benefit from a 20 mph area.

The congestion is already there, 20 mph zones may help because of the smoothing of the traffic speed. But to really address the congestion problem we need to surgically remove drivers from their cars. I've had some cards delivered by car to my house... OK they are my friends but they could have walked or cycled it - its just an example, or all those school runs by car. Many journeys that are made by car are completely unnecessary and by removing those journeys from the road would be the best way of reducing congestion.

How far is your school commute in total each day ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My youngest is at primary school in the city so how far do you think its going to be ... 1.3 miles round trip to drop him off - takes about 8 mins one way, 4 if we are running late. The older two I admit go further - that's why they catch a bus, after walking to the bus stop.

Cab

very-near said:

But 20mph has been proven to work. As it has been proven to work, why not have that and enforcement?

StuartG

slower but further
very-near said:
I'd not call it a smear, more of an honest apprasial.
Please provide any evidence that I have commuted by bicycle in the last 20 years. Difficult, because I have not. Hence remind me why your description of what I do and why I do it on my commute is not pure fabrication and a smear.

In other words a blantantly dishonest statement.

Top Bottom