More thoughts on variety...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As i slob around other people's houses getting my shoulder back in shape, thoughts naturally turn to getting out on the bikes.
The plan has always been to sell the Scott 209 roadie and keep the two steel MTBs, with big slicks on, for comfort and vibration damping.
But, but...if the braze-on fd on the Scott will adjust down to a 48-38-28 chainset...and how low can I go on pressures, realistically?
Changing the chainset would give me almost identical gearing to the MTBs, bar the difference in wheel size, on a 10lb lighter bike, but running 25mm tyres makes it harsher on the rider's decrepit frame.
Decisions, decisions...
I can definitely only keep two of the three bikes beyond the shortish term, so there's more to this than just fiddling for fiddlings' sake...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tricky. How big can the tyres go. TBH, if it's only short term until your shoulder is fixed, just ride around with lower pressured MTB. That's what I did at first following a shoulder op.

When I broke my spine, well that was different. I now only use MTB's, and mainly a 130mm Trail bike. Thinking of building up a cheap hardtail, even though I have a fully rigid MTB with 2.4" tyres.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I put 80-85 psi front and 90-95 psi rear in the 25C tyres on my CAAD5, which is a fairly unforgiving bike. That is enough to roll pretty well (and it is rare for me to get snakebite punctures) but is low enough to offer adequate comfort.

I reckon you could go 10 psi lower as long as you avoid slamming into potholes, assuming that you do not weigh a lot more than me (86 kg, 13.5 stone).

I put 80-85 psi front and 90-95 psi rear in the 25C tyres on my CAAD5, which is a fairly unforgiving bike. That is enough to roll pretty well (and it is rare for me to get snakebite punctures) but is low enough to offer adequate comfort.

I reckon you could go 10 psi lower as long as you avoid slamming into potholes, assuming that you do not weigh a lot more than me (86 kg, 13.5 stone).
Sounds promising, we weigh the same, although I'm in line to remove 8-16kg before the year's end, so that will help too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Exactly what I'm hoping for. At 66, and being very unfit due to surgery/hospitalisation, losing significant weight is an absolute necessity.
I was doing quite well at the start of the year but since then I have had 2 heavy colds which kept me off my bike for weeks. I failed to reduce my food intake to compensate for the lack of exercise ... :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Also recovering from two shoulder ops, nine months off and unhappily overweight but I've stopped drinking beer in the evenings and I've done some 22-25 milers at a steady pace plus some brisk walking and a bit of house and garden maintenance so the belly seems to be shrinking. Beer is my downfall, definitely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was doing quite well at the start of the year but since then I have had 2 heavy colds which kept me off my bike for weeks. I failed to reduce my food intake to compensate for the lack of exercise ... :whistle:

I've been taking a zinc tablet every day for the last 9 months and I haven't had a single cold. I really do believe zinc strengthens the immune system. That, and not rubbing my eyes or picking my nose, which is the quickest way to catch a virus.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've been taking a zinc tablet every day for the last 9 months and I haven't had a single cold. I really do believe zinc strengthens the immune system. That, and not rubbing my eyes or picking my nose, which is the quickest way to catch a virus.
We take a natural 'preventative'...... colloidal silver. 3 sprays each morning. I used to get one heavy chesty cold each year but not had a serious one for years since taking it.
I did get a dose of flu last year but theres nowt you can do about that.

Top Bottom