More tyre questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Running gatorskin ultras on my summer and winter road bikes.
The tyres are draggy and tests i've seen say they require more watts to keep rolling than
the same bike/rider on something like pro 4's.

Not happy with them as i've had numerous punctures from flint/shards of bricks around the fenland roads.

The sharps seem to gradually work into the tyre protection, and as others have said you must inspect
tyres after every ride (even poking into cuts/holes to see if any foreign object is still in there).

I'll be changing tyres soon, and intend to get a gas inflator as its time-consuming having to count to 140 strokes on my hand pump just to get a 700cc x 23mm up to a just-about-rideable 80psi. :cry:

I'll be changing tyres soon, and intend to get a gas inflator as its time-consuming having to count to 140 strokes on my hand pump just to get a 700cc x 23mm up to a just-about-rideable 80psi. :cry:

most of my road-riding is done at around 80-90psi - perfectly rideable I would say. Although it depends how much you weigh....

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Alright, I am going to go for the Schwalbe Durano Plus Performance Tyre as winter is approaching and I'm not sitting indoors worrying about punctures on wet roads. Chain Reaction are doing them for £27 each so good value for hard wearing tyres. One question though, everyone talks about them being heavy but at 340g is that going to make a blind bit of difference when I weigh 12stone and can cycle fairly comfortably on most roads, up steep hills etc.

One question though, everyone talks about them being heavy but at 340g is that going to make a blind bit of difference when I weigh 12stone and can cycle fairly comfortably on most roads, up steep hills etc.

if the tyre gets you through your ride, in winter, without needing to stop for roadside repairs, then the weight penalty (which you probably won't notice anyway) is worth it.. :smile:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Thanks, one last question hopefully; The tyre for sale at Chain Reaction says Black Wire, and no mention of folding. Is there any difference in these 2 types of the same make of tyre? They are both Durano Plus Performance but Wiggle says it is folding but chain reaction says wire.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've a Secteur as well and use GP4000s on the main wheels. Currently there's a set of Schwalbe slicks on the commuter ones 'cos that's all I'd got spare.

In 2000 miles the GP4000s tyres have been fine, with only 1 puncture.

The tyres it'll have come with are basic ones from Specialized. I got nearly 1000 miles out of a set but both developed bulges when punctured.

Top Bottom