More tyre questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I've spent countless hours reading reviews on various types of tyres for my road bike with the result that I am totally indecisive about which ones I should go for. Here's my situation: I own a Specialized Secteur Road Bike, had it almost 4 weeks and have had 2 punctures in the past week. I don't commute so it's purely for evening or weekend rides and it is seriously annoying to have punctures literally 4 miles into a planned 30 mile ride. I now have lower confidence in my bike as I'm afraid of getting a puncture down a fast hill. I only ride on decent tarmac roads so am worried that I've been getting punctures on good surfaces. I don't know the name of the standard tyres that come with my bike as I'm at work right now but would appreciate your advice on the best tyres to go for that will allow me to ride comfortably on decent length rides but have puncture protection. I am fairly fit and ride at a decent pace, averaging 16mph so don't want something that will slow me down and make it harder to ride. Thanks in advance.

PpPete

Legendary Member
All tyres are a compromise*.

You can get really top class puncture protection.... but only, as you already guessed, in a tyre that will slow you down - The Schwalbe Marathon range...

My personal choice is the Michelin Krylion (now renamed as the Pro 4 Endurance) - not too much loss of speed, good longevity, good grip, adequate puncture protection, but not cheap.

Others will no doubt have their own choice.

* I would expect the stock tyres on the Secteur to be more compromised than mos, because Specialized will have to factor tyre cost into their target price for the whole bike..... and tyres won't be covered by any kind of warranty.

Personally I use marathon + on my commute bike and conti 4000s on my ride bike. These tyres suit my style of riding. They are a bit pricey but to me are worth it. Good puncture protection and they roll ok. Took me a few tyres to find them but now I don't look at others

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a Specialized Secteur and I have Continental GP4000s on it, on good tarmac roads and ropey single track country lanes, it does a grand job. Previously used Rubino Pro 3's which were also great but not quite as good as the GP4000s tyres in my opinion.

Thomk

Guru
Is money an issue? I replaced my stock tyres with Bontrager Race Lite tyres and so far after about 1000 miles they are great - no punctures and good performance. They have good puncture protection and half decent rolling resistance and are a fair bit lighter and cheaper than Marathons. They can be had for about £30 a pair if you shop around.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Money isn't a huge issue as I would prefer fewer punctures but a light tyre with good performance. Buying and repairing tubes isn't a huge expense but one I'd rather avoid as much as possible so I need to choose the new tyres carefully.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get into the habit of checking your tyres after every ride.
Dig out any bits of flint, stone, grit. glass etc.
Pain in the arse but do get into the habit.
It will save you from punctures what ever tyres you have.

Money isn't a huge issue as I would prefer fewer punctures but a light tyre with good performance. Buying and repairing tubes isn't a huge expense but one I'd rather avoid as much as possible so I need to choose the new tyres carefully.

youstill haven't said what is causing your punctures - sharp objects or impacts..??

Sharp objects both times, tiny shards of glass that pierced the tyre and tube.

very few tyres will prevent glass entering, regardless of budget. The only practical solution is to either a) accept that sh1t happens, or b) find an alternative route until the roadsweeper has been round...

Also, depending on what pressure your tyres are at, it might help to run them a bit lower...

BSRU

A Human Being
Do you ride within 50 cm of the kerb, if your in secondary or primary there tends to be very little glass as it is swept into the gutter by passing motorised traffic.
As pointed out already, checking tyres is important as glass can stick to tyres or get in through small cuts in the outer part of the tyre, then work their way towards the inner tube:evil: .

Stonepark

Über Member
Seems you may be running Stock Specialized ESPOIR SPORT tyres, 25mm, 370g

Might want to try something like the folding Schwalbe Durano Plus, Continental 4 seasons with extra puncture resistance belts

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I tend to ride about 75cm from the kerb or roadside and most of my rides are on main roads or decent B roads. I guess I just had an unlucky week and shouldnt blame the standard tyres for everything. That said I think I'll buy a pair of GP4000s tyres after reading dozens of favourable reviews about them.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Seems you may be running Stock Specialized ESPOIR SPORT tyres, 25mm, 370g

Might want to try something like the folding Schwalbe Durano Plus, Continental 4 seasons with extra puncture resistance belts
Yes you're right, those are the ones. Now having looked at the Durano plus reviews I'm indecisive again whether to choose them or conti GP4000s, lol. Guess I'll bite the bullet and choose one later.

Top Bottom