More war against cyclists.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Toby’s father was a great man - amongst other things he drafted the Labour Party Manifesto in 1945 and was the driving force behind the creation of a whole range of organisations, not the least of which was the Open University.

Toby, on the other hand, is an attention seeking clown who has managed to parlay an ability to talk rubbish into a good living. He’s an embarrassment.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Majority of sports cyclists = probably middle class and upwards. Majority of utility cyclists are probably working class. ....

I suspect most people who more easily fall in to working class category sadly would find it more difficult to find the time for a cycling club, which I think is what helps turn a lot of people from bike-curious (South Park reference 😂) to bike-obsessive.

I would not disagree with the first two lines in the post above, and it tends to reflect my own observations.

However, I think that to categorise riders into purely sports or utility is a bit over simplistic. There are quite a big chunk who are neither utility or sports riders as such; i.e. they are not obsessed by cycling performance, and they don't necessarily ride to work or to do their daily errands either - but they do still ride when they feel like it, just for a bit of fresh air and pleasant scenery. Probably much of Halfords core customer base in fact!
One of the reasons I suspect road cycling is largely not a working class pastime, is if someone does a physical job all week, and possibly even rides to work, they are unlikely to have the time or energy left to indulge in sports cycling during their free time. They are more likely to want to put their feet up and relax after a week of graft, not go out and tire themselves out even more, then have to get up for work again Monday.

Lovacott

Über Member
However, I think that to categorise riders into purely sports or utility is a bit over simplistic. There are quite a big chunk who are neither utility or sports riders as such;
Reality is, I don't know anybody who couldn't be classified as a "cyclist" at some point or another.

Pretty much everybody has a bike in the shed and the moment they dust it off and pump up the tyres for a Sunday afternoon two mile jolly down the canal tow path, they become a "Cyclist".

If they happen to slow a few cars down on the 500 yard section of road to the canal, they become a "Bloody Cyclist".

If they happen to wear a helmet and a some old cycling gear whilst doing so, they become a "Lycra Lout".

Once back home and with the bike safely tucked away behind the lawn mower ready for next years sunny day trip to the local beer garden, they become normal human beings again.

Top Bottom