More youtube ignorant comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Pandy

The more I watch helmet cams on you tube (and read the discussions), I can't help feeling that they never look as dangerous as they actually must feel when you are on a bike. When you take away the noise, wind and panic induced by knowing your brakes are crap, left hooks (etc) never look that bad. I think most car drivers (who have never been on a fast bike in heavy traffic) would think "so what". In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many judged the filtering as more dangerous than the left hook (just because you don't do that in a car). I am not suggesting for a moment that this is actually the case. When you are on a bike you are much more aware of what's around you, what's safe to do, and the consequences if you get it wrong. But helmet cams seem (to me) to distort what its actually like to have a car past 6 inches from you shoulder, or brake hard in front of you. It never looks that bad on camera. I don't think we will win the argument with drivers using cameras.

Cheers

Andy

Ismike - where in the Highway Code does it discourage cyclists undertaking?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, it discourages undertaking in general, not just by cyclists. There are exceptions of course, but to me the clear interpretation is that it shouldn't be done.

BentMikey said:
Oh yes, can't be having anyone getting away with such ignorant comments!

Oi, that avatar of yours is naughty! Together with your .sig, someone might think you have the hots for me.

You just noticed it then?:biggrin:

However much you try mikey you are going to have one hell of a job trying to convince the whole of the internet how perfect your cycling is.;)

Cheeky!

Sigs gone now.Just need Domtyler to come out with another classic.

BentMikey said:
No, it discourages undertaking in general, not just by cyclists. There are exceptions of course, but to me the clear interpretation is that it shouldn't be done.

The Highway Code says nothing of the sort. Cyclists can undertake but

When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

The onus is on drivers to take utmost care and look out for cyclist's when turning left. Thankfully the fact that there is likely to be two wheeled traffic travelling along the nearside of a queue of traffic either in a cycle lane or otherwise and that a motorist should take extra care has recently been recognised in Fagan V (1) Jeffers (2) MIB (2005) where the Court found that a motorist had to proceed with utmost care and not cross the carriageway until he had put himself in a position where he was satisfied that no traffic was likely to come up on the inside of the opposing carriageway.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, that's de-facto acknowledgement that two wheelers do undertake, but I think the more general undertaking advice in rule 163 holds more weight:

"only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so"

Regardless, undertaking is for the most part more risky than overtaking, and there are very good reasons for being extra cautious if you do undertake. "Undertaking leads to the undertakers".

Rule 163 is more applicable to car drivers plus it also says "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"

There is nothing in 59-82 Rules for Cyclists that forbids or discourages undertaking otherwise cyclists in a cycle lane or on the nearside of a slow moving queue of traffic would have to move with the traffic or else cut across the lane of traffic to overtake on the offside thus risking right turning vehicles, oncoming traffic and being stranded in the centre of the carrigeway when the traffic speeds up.

I'm not attacking your riding btw, it is just that I am due in court as a cycle victim of a driver who gave me a left hook but has pleaded 'not guilty'.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Not at all, I appreciate your posts. You've certainly made me re-think my understanding of undertaking. I think technically in a cycle lane, you're allowed to undertake with the slow moving queues part of things, since you're in a separate lane. OTOH I think rule 163 is applicable to all, not just drivers.

I wouldn't mind if you were attacking my riding either, I might learn something from you. I'm far from perfect and am always looking for ways to better my riding.

Good luck for the court case.

BentMikey said:
Come on Terms, fess up, that's far from the first time I've said that.

Looks like I'm subject to Magnatom syndrome. ;)

Uuugh! It's catching! You showed the first symptoms earlier on today. You used said 'big jessie'. The next stage of the disease is heavy breathing, or so Dom tells me!

:biggrin:

Sorry Mike,

Haven't posted on your video. I'm getting a significant number of responses to my youtube videos every day now. I just don't have the time any more!

BentMikey said:
Not at all, I appreciate your posts. You've certainly made me re-think my understanding of undertaking. I think technically in a cycle lane, you're allowed to undertake with the slow moving queues part of things, since you're in a separate lane. OTOH I think rule 163 is applicable to all, not just drivers.

I wouldn't mind if you were attacking my riding either, I might learn something from you. I'm far from perfect and am always looking for ways to better my riding.

Good luck for the court case.

So cyclists have to stop when they reach a line of traffic or else overtake? This is patently not the case in practice but it worries me that I can't find any ruling on the legality of cyclist's undertaking a queue of traffic and subsequently being hit by a left turning (but non indicating) driver.

Could this be an important case methinks?

Top Bottom