Morecambe Bay Cycle Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i edited my post to recommend a quick ten minute detour into the castle :okay:

geocycle

Legendary Member
i edited my post to recommend a quick ten minute detour into the castle :okay:

Good call, the cafe run by Atkinsons In the castle yard is very quality.

Here are a few pics from the Glasson to Lancaster path Earlier this year.

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
Considering the Autumn is most likely here, would we be wise in using our gravel bikes rather than road bikes ? Seems like there's going to be a fair bit of mud and floods potentially.............. Does anyone know how much gravel/muddy compacted paths there are compared to roads....... ? My take on the whole thing is it's mainly tarmac path and country roads........... ? Also hills.......... Assume it's not very hilly as it's a family cycle route ?! Expect some hills on the back roads but can't imagine we'd be climbing for 3 days solid ?! :okay::bicycle:

geocycle

Legendary Member
The route is mainly on roads. We have been talking about some details in the thread above And hope it’s not put you off! There are some short muddy sections such as Greenodd and south of Lancaster but the majority is on minor roads. Coastal flooding is forecast today around the northern part of the Bay but it is unusual and there are generally work arounds. The route is pretty flat for NW England, mainly undulating. There is one hill of note just before Cartmel which isn’t that steep or particularly long but takes you by surprise as it is hidden in a wood. Here’s a link to a guide https://cycle.travel/route/bay_cycle_way/guide

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The section from Conder Green to roughly Aldcliffe is a compacted surface, the rest is tarmac on quiet lanes. The section of the Lune Cycleway mentioned earlier floods, from memory is 500 metres. There is one little climb leaving Grange and I encountered one other near Cartmel. Otherwise it's flat.

While I don't suggest you should the route is easily ridden in a day.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few more pictures from our ride...

I couldn't help thinking about the poor Chinese cockle pickers when we stopped here. Imagine working out there at night and suddenly finding the sea rushing back in and surrounding you...

Rush hour traffic on way to Milnthorpe...

Milnthorpe Sands

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
A few more pictures from our ride...

I couldn't help thinking about the poor Chinese cockle pickers when we stopped here. Imagine working out there at night and suddenly finding the sea rushing back in and surrounding you...
View attachment 543054

Rush hour traffic on way to Milnthorpe...
View attachment 543053

Milnthorpe Sands
View attachment 543055
Great photos Colin, if the weather is like that we'll be more than happy ! Had to Google that to see when it was............ 2004........ Seems like only a few years ago, I remember it well....... Very sad :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Had to Google that to see when it was............ 2004........ Seems like only a few years ago, I remember it well....... Very sad :sad:
I linked to the Wikipedia article, but it isn't so obvious because links are not underlined on the forum.

My friend and I went for a meal at a Bay-side pub at Grange-over-Sands. I think it was this one...

When we went in, there was no sea to be seen - the Bay was just a vast expanse of sand and mud. We came out less than an hour later and the whole Bay was back underwater! :eek:

When we went on to Arnside the following day, this sign sent a shiver down my spine... Even if the Chinese cockle pickers had seen it, they probably wouldn't have understood what it was telling them.

MontyVeda

Great photos Colin, if the weather is like that we'll be more than happy ! Had to Google that to see when it was............ 2004........ Seems like only a few years ago, I remember it well....... Very sad :sad:
Same here. I was working late into the night and could hear lots of helicopters going over and was thinking 'something's going on'. Next morning the tragedy was revealed :sad:

MontyVeda

I linked to the Wikipedia article, but it isn't so obvious because links are not underlined on the forum.

My friend and I went for a meal at a Bay-side pub at Grange-over-Sands. I think it was this one...

View attachment 543078

When we went in, there was no sea to be seen - the Bay was just a vast expanse of sand and mud. We came out less than an hour later and the whole Bay was back underwater! :eek:

When we went on to Arnside the following day, this sign sent a shiver down my spine... Even if the Chinese cockle pickers had seen it, they probably wouldn't have understood what it was telling them.

View attachment 543077
I think their gang-masters knew otherwise and put profit before people :sad:

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
@shnjmsn give me a shout closer to the time and i'll check if the section south of Lancaster is flooded... it's only five minutes away. I presume it'll be OK as we had our two month's worth of rain the other night, but if not, I can advise an alternative route.

with regards to food/beer stops... i presume anywhere round lancaster/morecambe will be far too soon for a stop. In Arnside there's two good pubs (The Albion, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks), both with beer gardens looking out over the Kent estuary... I love these views so much i often have one too many and just get the train home :blush:

how's it looking Monty, any floods now or all good ? We've had a few dry days recently down south, so I suspect the wether may change this week... heading up on Thursday !

Top Bottom